"Enjoying the Burgundian Lifestyle" Maastricht by BillNJ
Maastricht Travel Guide: 1,267 reviews and 3,255 photos
One of the consequences of the First Treaty of London in 1839 was that the city of Maastricht in Limburg became part of the Netherlands. While Maastricht is politically part of the Netherlands, its culture is more accurately described as Burgundian. In the middle ages, the Realm of Burgundy stretched from West Switzerland to Flanders. A hallmark of Burgundian culture was an emphasis on living well, and in particular, eating well.
The city of Maastricht does its best to uphold the Burgundian tradition of eating well. The main pleins (squares) of the city are filled with delightful sidewalk cafés. Here, you can eat delicious food while overlooking lovely tree-lined streets, old churches, fountains, ... and lots of parked bikes and motorcycles!
In 1992, the nations of Europe signed the Treaty on European Union in Maastricht. For better or worse, the city of Maastricht will forever be linked to this important event in the history of Europe.
During the year of the treaty, it was the Netherlands turn to be chairman of the European Council. Of all of the great cities in the Netherlands, why was Maastricht selected to be the birthplace of the European Union? I don't know for certain -- but, after my visit, I suspect that the city's great restaurants and cafés played a role in the decision.
I spent two days in Maastricht -- on a Tuesday and a Wednesday. With the relaxing atmosphere and streets filled with shoppers and tourists, both days felt like a Saturday. I can only imagine how crowded Maastricht is on an actual Saturday!
- Pros:Picturesque Pleins (Squares); Sidewalk Cafés; Burgundian Culture
- In a nutshell:Come Enjoy the Burgundian Lifestyle in the South of the Netherlands!
The city flag of Maastricht flies in many places throughout the city. The flag is red with a white star. It is based on... more travel advice
Wyck is the "other" part of the city across the River Maas (aka Meuse). The central train station is in Wyck. There are... more travel advice
- See All Souvenir Shop on St. Servaas Bridge
- See All Internet Cafés Don't Open Until Noon!
- See All Wonderful Restaurant with a Burgundian...
BillNJ's Related Pages
Maastricht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maastricht: Where life is Good!"
- "Limbourgeois at its best"
- "Maastricht -- beautiful city on the Maas"
- "Not At All What I'd Expected!"
- "The Netherlands’ Deep South"
- "Enjoying the Burgundian Lifestyle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maastricht
- Hotels in Maastricht
- Transportation in Maastricht
- Nightlife in Maastricht
- Restaurants in Maastricht
- Shopping in Maastricht
- Warnings and Dangers in Maastricht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maastricht
- 24 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Maastricht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maastricht
- Commented on one of 807Wheaton's Maastricht travel pages
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Vienna Accommodation"
- updated a Maastricht Travel Page "Enjoying the Burgundian Lifestyle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lovely Café on the Onze Lieve Vrouweplein"
- Wrote a Review Maastricht Flag in Maastricht Local Customs
Photos in MaastrichtSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos