"Lovely Small City in Central Limburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond by BillNJ
Roermond Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 147 photos
The German VTers that I met on my trip knew of Roermond only as the site of the large McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Center. I hope that my VT page helps to show that Roermond has more to offer a tourist than simply this popular outlet shopping center.
Roermond is located in the middle of the Province of Limburg where the Roer River meets the Maas River (aka the Meuse River). The Roermond city center has a pedestrian zone with shops, restaurants, sidewalk cafes, churches, and other attractions. The most picturesque area of the city center is the Munsterplein in which you will find the magnificent Munsterkerk (Munster Church) that was re-designed by the famous architect, P.J.H. Cuypers. In the Munsterplein, there is also a statue of Cuypers who was born in Roermond.
It only takes a couple of hours to see the major attractions in the Roermond city center. After doing so, you can then walk through the short pedestrian tunnel to the McArthur Glen Designer Outlets where you will find top brand-name merchandise at discounted prices.
One of the main reasons that I chose to spend a day in the small city of Roermond is that it is very easy to access by train. I traveled to Roermond from Düsseldorf with a brief stopover in Venlo. If you immediately get on the connecting train in Venlo, the entire trip takes approximately an hour. Then, if you are staying in the Hotel Roermond (like I did), you only have a very short walk to your room. In fact, the walk is less than one block -- and you don't even have to cross the street!
When I left Roermond, I took a train directly to Maastricht which takes approximately 40 minutes. From Maastricht, it is only about 30 minutes to Liège, Belgium. In Liège, you can get a train going east to Brussels -- or west to Cologne.
The small city of Roermond has a relaxed atmosphere. If you are seeking a fast-paced city with lots of famous tourist attractions, you probably want to head north to Amsterdam. However, if you want to experience a lovely small city in the south of the Netherlands without a lot of tourists, Roermond is a good place to check out.
- Pros:Convenient by train, compact city center, relaxed atmosphere
- Cons:Few notable tourist attractions
- In a nutshell:More than the McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Center!
While not as glamorous as the McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Center, the pedestrian zone in the Roermond city center has... more travel advice
During my brief visit of the city of Roermond, I noticed that there were a lot of construction sites. One big project... more travel advice
BillNJ's Related Pages
Roermond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Small City in Central Limburg"
- "Roermond, in the heart of Limburg"
- "Roermond - wat is da schoon"
- "Roermond / Remunj"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roermond
- Hotels in Roermond
- Transportation in Roermond
- Nightlife in Roermond
- Restaurants in Roermond
- Shopping in Roermond
- Warnings and Dangers in Roermond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roermond
- 26 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Roermond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roermond
- updated a Roermond Travel Page "Lovely Small City in Central Limburg"
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Vienna Accommodation"
- Commented on one of Pavlik_NL's Roermond travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Outlet Center with Top Designer Brands"
- Wrote a Review Many Shops in City Center Pedestrian Zone in Roermond Shopping
Photos in RoermondSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos