"Lovely Small City in Central Limburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond by BillNJ

Roermond Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 147 photos

Where the Roer Meets the Maas

The German VTers that I met on my trip knew of Roermond only as the site of the large McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Center. I hope that my VT page helps to show that Roermond has more to offer a tourist than simply this popular outlet shopping center.

Roermond is located in the middle of the Province of Limburg where the Roer River meets the Maas River (aka the Meuse River). The Roermond city center has a pedestrian zone with shops, restaurants, sidewalk cafes, churches, and other attractions. The most picturesque area of the city center is the Munsterplein in which you will find the magnificent Munsterkerk (Munster Church) that was re-designed by the famous architect, P.J.H. Cuypers. In the Munsterplein, there is also a statue of Cuypers who was born in Roermond.

It only takes a couple of hours to see the major attractions in the Roermond city center. After doing so, you can then walk through the short pedestrian tunnel to the McArthur Glen Designer Outlets where you will find top brand-name merchandise at discounted prices.

Easy to Access By Train

One of the main reasons that I chose to spend a day in the small city of Roermond is that it is very easy to access by train. I traveled to Roermond from Düsseldorf with a brief stopover in Venlo. If you immediately get on the connecting train in Venlo, the entire trip takes approximately an hour. Then, if you are staying in the Hotel Roermond (like I did), you only have a very short walk to your room. In fact, the walk is less than one block -- and you don't even have to cross the street!

When I left Roermond, I took a train directly to Maastricht which takes approximately 40 minutes. From Maastricht, it is only about 30 minutes to Liège, Belgium. In Liège, you can get a train going east to Brussels -- or west to Cologne.

Relaxed Atmosphere

The small city of Roermond has a relaxed atmosphere. If you are seeking a fast-paced city with lots of famous tourist attractions, you probably want to head north to Amsterdam. However, if you want to experience a lovely small city in the south of the Netherlands without a lot of tourists, Roermond is a good place to check out.

• Pros:Convenient by train, compact city center, relaxed atmosphere
  • Cons:Few notable tourist attractions
  • In a nutshell:More than the McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Center!
  • Last visit to Roermond: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 11, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

For a brief stop over-you captured the essence of this town very well. It looks like a fairy tale setting that a visitor can relax and take in the sites. Nice job.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM

With all this great architecture, Bill, I don't think I'd make it to the mall. Or maybe it's the Christoffel Bier that would keep me from shopping. Good on you for finding that one. Prost!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Just returned from the Netherlands and Belgium and wish I had stumbled across your pages before I left. Nice info ;-)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Hi Bill, Just the type of town we like. Asia has nice hoels 7 restaurants, but you need to research. Chiang Mai, everyone loves it. In May we had10 days in Singapore and Kuching (Borneo). Kuching is an ideal destination, still retains some of its past.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I like the look of the Munsterkerk! Sounds like you had a nice visit!

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 6:33 AM

You have been a few places, unknown by most tourists who come to Europe! However I don't share your idea about Heineken :-) Looks as if you stayed in a nice hotel. The kitchen is a plus indeed. A place to keep in mind!

• Airpunk's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Good page about this destination which is not on most toursists itinerary! The Christoffel Beer tip is among my favourites :)

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Nice to see Roermond is more than just a shopper's paradise.

• WStat's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM

I fully agree to your Beer- comments! They got really delicious beers!

• marsistanbul's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 5:49 AM

Excellent beer tips..highly recommended:) thanks for yr visiting to my Valparaiso pages.brgds.

BillNJ

“Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow. ”

Badges & Stats in Roermond

Have you been to Roermond?

Photos in Roermond