"Tallinn - A Great Mixture of the Old and the New" Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn by BillNJ

Tallinn Travel Guide: 1,786 reviews and 4,813 photos

The Beautiful Old Town

In October of 2006, I spent a total of 8 days in the beautiful city of Tallinn, Estonia. My trip was after the busy summer travel season, so there was the advantage of few crowds and lines. The disadvantage was that the weather was unpredictable -- sometimes cold and rainy, and other times pleasant with blue skies or slightly overcast.

The Old Town is a beautifully preserved medieval village where motor vehicle traffic is restricted. If you stay within the walls of the Old Town (and I definitely recommend that you do!), you do not need to rent a car because everything within the Old Town is easily accessible on foot.

The Emerging New City

Outside the walls of the Old Town, one can see the "real" Tallinn as opposed to the Old Town that caters largely to tourists. With an efficient public transport system of trams and buses, one can explore many parts of the city without the need for a car. All over the city I saw construction cranes -- and I saw much evidence of the city's desire to leave its Soviet past and catch up to the splendor of its fellow northern European neighbors. I'm sure that the Estonians will be successful in their efforts -- and that they will continue to make improvements to their capital city.

Convenient destination

I flew into the international airport -- which, while fairly small, is modern and efficient. During my stay, I also took a ferry ride from the port to Helsinki, Finland -- only a 90 minute ride. By air or by sea, the beautiful city of Tallinn has fortunately become a convenient travel destination now that the constraints of Communism no longer exist.

• Pros:Beautiful architecture, pedestrian friendly, relatively inexpensive
  • Cons:Weather can sometimes be harsh
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful travel destination if you are seeking something a little off the beaten path!
  • Last visit to Tallinn: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Great tips!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
      Mar 23, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Jim, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to know that you read VT pages that I wrote years ago. Tallinn is a unique and interesting place. If you ever visit, I would enjoy hearing about your experiences and observations. Cheers!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Our visit to Tallin took place in December - snow turned the city into a wintery fairytale town. Summer looks pretty nice too - nice page. leyle

• Tuna_ank's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2009 at 3:14 AM

We couldn't say cheers for you at Nimeta baar because of my lazy firends. But your pages helped a lot. Thanks.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM

With 8 days in Tallin you really got to see a lot! And it sounds like you had a great time! Especially the old town in Tallin looks beautiful, and I hope to go there one day.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2009 at 3:38 AM

Tallinn looks like an interesting new capital that I've always wanted to visit but had no opportunity yet. I enjoyed your sight seeing and restaurants tour :)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Excellent Tallinn page - wish I had had more than one day there and would have loved to go to the opera. Thanks for your Comments on my Hamburg page - I think you might enjoy it.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Your Tallinn pages and tips are awesome --- no wonder you're top 5!!! Wish I spent more etime in Tallinn to see the other places you mentioned! Nice travels, Norman :)

• a5floor's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Hi Bill, you have a great page about Tallinn. I really enjoyed it! :) I am going to this city in May and your tips were really helpfull.

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Nice pic of the main square - i know what you mean about the weather - i have visited in Winter also

• aquatic's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Beautiful City! Hope to go there some day. Thanks for a comment on my page. I love small towns! Come back for more updates soon...

BillNJ

“Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. ”

Badges & Stats in Tallinn

Have you been to Tallinn?