"Tallinn - A Great Mixture of the Old and the New" Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn by BillNJ
Tallinn Travel Guide: 1,894 reviews and 5,387 photos
In October of 2006, I spent a total of 8 days in the beautiful city of Tallinn, Estonia. My trip was after the busy summer travel season, so there was the advantage of few crowds and lines. The disadvantage was that the weather was unpredictable -- sometimes cold and rainy, and other times pleasant with blue skies or slightly overcast.
The Old Town is a beautifully preserved medieval village where motor vehicle traffic is restricted. If you stay within the walls of the Old Town (and I definitely recommend that you do!), you do not need to rent a car because everything within the Old Town is easily accessible on foot.
Outside the walls of the Old Town, one can see the "real" Tallinn as opposed to the Old Town that caters largely to tourists. With an efficient public transport system of trams and buses, one can explore many parts of the city without the need for a car. All over the city I saw construction cranes -- and I saw much evidence of the city's desire to leave its Soviet past and catch up to the splendor of its fellow northern European neighbors. I'm sure that the Estonians will be successful in their efforts -- and that they will continue to make improvements to their capital city.
I flew into the international airport -- which, while fairly small, is modern and efficient. During my stay, I also took a ferry ride from the port to Helsinki, Finland -- only a 90 minute ride. By air or by sea, the beautiful city of Tallinn has fortunately become a convenient travel destination now that the constraints of Communism no longer exist.
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, pedestrian friendly, relatively inexpensive
- Cons:Weather can sometimes be harsh
- In a nutshell:A wonderful travel destination if you are seeking something a little off the beaten path!
In case you didn't already know, the current President of Estonia (Toomas Ilves) spent most of his childhood in Leonia,... more travel advice
I did not stay at the Sokos Hotel Viru, but I passed by it on many occasions. It is the largest hotel in Tallinn -- and... more travel advice
- See All Have to take a number at the post office
- See All Nice Irish Pub in Old Town Tallinn
- See All Tallinn International Airport
- See All Visit the Tallinn Song Festival Grounds
- See All Large nightclub with mostly Finnish...
BillNJ's Related Pages
Tallinn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A medieval marvel"
- "Shades of Grey"
- "Tallinn - A Great Mixture of the Old and the New"
- "Tallinn - medieval spirit city"
- "In the bleak midwinter ..."
- "Towers and tiles and spires and cobbles."
- "TALLINN ESTONIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallinn
- Hotels in Tallinn
- Transportation in Tallinn
- Nightlife in Tallinn
- Restaurants in Tallinn
- Shopping in Tallinn
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallinn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tallinn
- 59 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Tallinn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallinn
- updated a Tallinn Travel Page "Tallinn - A Great Mixture of the Old and the New"
- Commented on one of BillNJ's Tallinn travel pages
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Vienna Accommodation"
- Uploaded a Photo to "St. Olav's Church - once world's tallest building"
- Wrote a Review President Toomas Ilves grew up in New Jersey! about People in Tallinn Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos