"The Fiery City in Wallonia" Top 5 Page for this destination Liège by BillNJ
Liège Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 916 photos
The Walloon Region, commonly called Wallonia, is one of the three Regions of Belgium (the Brussels-Capital Region and the Flemish Region are the other two). Wallonia represents approximately 33% of Belgium's population and 55% its territory. Wallonia is known as the French-speaking south of Belgium, but there are also some German-speaking municipalities in the east. The official languages of the Walloon Region are French and German. In the city of Liège itself, the primary language is French.
The Liège metropolitan area is the largest urban agglomeration in Wallonia. It is the the third largest metropolitan area in Belgium, behind the Brussels and Antwerp metropolitan areas.
In the most recent census, the city of Liège had a population of 187,086. Depending on where the boundaries are set, the Liège metropolitan area has a total population of between 476,000 and slightly more 600,000. Whatever the case, Liège is the principal economic and cultural center of Wallonia.
In the 19th century, the city of Liège was a leading industrial city in Europe. The Province of Liège is rich in many natural resources, especially coal and iron. Liège developed into an important steel-producer, and much of its steel was made into weapons.
When many of Liège's industrial plants began to shut down in the second half of the 20th century, the city's economy was badly hurt. Today, the city is still struggling with high rates for unemployment and crime.
In May 2008, I visited Liège for an afternoon as a side trip from Maastricht. Upon arriving at Liège, I noticed a big difference in the energy level as compared to Maastricht. Whereas the general pace of life in Maastricht is slow and leisurely, the pace in Liège is fast and somewhat chaotic.
As a tourist destination, I'm sure many will simply write Liège off as an industrial city in decline. While Liège is a little rough around the edges, I found it to be a fascinating place. I certainly wish that I had allocated more time to explore it because an afternoon is not nearly enough. Someday, I hope to make a return visit so that I can experience this fast-paced and vibrant city at more depth.
- Pros:Good public transportation; Montagne de Bueren; Delicious waffles
- Cons:Run-down in parts; English is not widely spoken
- In a nutshell:Look Beyond Liège's Rough Exterior for the Treasure Within.
Near Place Saint Lambert, I came across a place called Telecoms City that advertises internet, telephone, fax,... more travel advice
Andre is a small sandwich and waffle shop on a narrow side street near the Place Saint Lambert. At Andre, I ordered a... more travel advice
BillNJ's Related Pages
Liège Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the footsteps (or wagon ruts) of Victor Hugo"
- "La Cité Ardente"
- "The Fiery City in Wallonia"
- "A day trip to Liège"
- "Liege, Luttig, Luik"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liège
- Hotels in Liège
- Transportation in Liège
- Nightlife in Liège
- Restaurants in Liège
- Shopping in Liège
- Warnings and Dangers in Liège
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liège
- 12 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Liège?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liège
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Vienna Accommodation"
- updated a Liège Travel Page "The Fiery City in Wallonia"
- Commented on one of wandeljp's Liège travel pages
- Wrote a Review Internet, telephone, and office services in Liège Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Internet, telephone, and office services"
Photos in LiègeSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos