"The Far West of Europe" Top 5 Page for this destination Galway by BillNJ
Galway Travel Guide: 530 reviews and 1,010 photos
Ireland lies at the far west of Europe -- and Galway lies at the far west of Ireland. On a smaller scale than the state of California on the west coast of the United States, Galway enjoys a strong artistic heritage and a flourishing arts, music, theatre and film scene. For a visitor, Galway City -- with its many pubs and restaurants -- is certainly one of the best spots for craic in all of Ireland.
The River Corrib flows from Lough Corrib through Galway City to Galway Bay. With only a length of six kilometres, it is one of the shortest rivers in Europe. What it lacks in size, though, it makes up for in intensity. The River Corrib flows through Galway City at a very fast pace.
According to the ancient Chinese practice of feng shui, fast-moving water correlates to fast-moving chi (energy). Certainly, the city of Galway is full of energy with its large student population.
Unfortunately, though, the heavy traffic around Galway City does not flow nearly as fast as the River Corrib! For visitors staying within the city and/or taking bus tours to outlying areas, a car is not needed in this very walkable city.
This trip held special meaning for me because both of my paternal grandparents were born in County Galway. In 1920, my grandfather emigrated to the United States at the age of 21. In 1923, my grandmother emigrated to the United States at the age of 17. Later, in the United States, they met and married.
Under Irish law, one is eligible for citizenship if at least one grandparent was born in Ireland. Since both of my paternal grandparents were born in County Galway, I applied for and obtained my Irish citizenship in 2008. Being an Irish citizen does not affect my US citizenship, but it does afford me additional rights in Ireland and the rest of the European Union.
Despite now being an Irish citizen, I was still easily identifiable as a "Yank" whenever I opened my mouth. While an Irish brogue may be difficult to acquire, I have started incorporating some common Irish expressions like "brilliant", "grand", "lads", and "lassies" into my vocabulary. Perhaps on my next trip I will be able to convince someone that I am now officially Irish? (haha)
- Pros:Fun and Lively City; Very Walkable; Transportation Hub
- Cons:Heavy Traffic During Rush Hours
- In a nutshell:Great base for exploring the west of Ireland!
The most common Irish whiskeys are made by Jameson, Bushmills, and Tullamore Dew. If you want to try something a little... more travel advice
Near my hotel (Park House Hotel) on Forster Street, there is an entertainment centre named Squareyes. Inside, I accessed... more travel advice
- See All See The Two Wildes Sculpture
- See All Ceannt Station
- Premier Shopping District in Galway City
- See All Be Careful Not to Fall Over the Cliffs...
BillNJ's Related Pages
Galway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A walk around Galway"
- "The Far West of Europe"
- "Galway.. City of Tribes"
- "Galway- the big little city"
- "Galway City- My favourite Irish city...so far"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galway
- Hotels in Galway
- Transportation in Galway
- Nightlife in Galway
- Restaurants in Galway
- Shopping in Galway
- Warnings and Dangers in Galway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galway
- 23 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Galway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galway
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Galway tips
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Vienna Accommodation"
- Wrote a Review Redbreast 12 Year Old Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey in Galway Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Redbreast 12 Year Old Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey"
- updated a Galway Travel Page "The Far West of Europe"
Photos in GalwaySee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos