"City of Kings and Thermal Baths" Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen by BillNJ
Aachen Travel Guide: 502 reviews and 1,208 photos
Charlemagne (aka Karl der Grosse in German, Karel de Grote in Dutch, Carolus Magnus in Latin, and Charles the Great in English) became the sole King of the Franks in 760 A.D. upon the death of his brother, Carloman. During Charlemagne's reign, he led the Franks in numerous military campaigns throughout Western Europe. On Christmas Day, 800 A.D., Charlemagne was crowned "Emperor of the Romans" in Rome by Pope Leo III, the first such crowning in the west after an intermission of 324 years.
Unlike previous Emperors, Charlemagne did not establish his residence in Rome. Instead, Charlemagne chose the city of Aachen for his home. According to Einhard who was a scholar in Charlemagne's court and his earliest biographer, a big reason why Charlemagne chose Aachen was that he liked to swim in the city's thermal baths. Reportedly, Charlemagne frequented the baths often, and he was usually accompanied by family members, officials or guests.
Aachen has a compact city center that can be explored easily on foot. Furthermore, much of the center city is made up of pedestrian zones with restricted automobile traffic. Tourists are advised to bring their walking shoes and enjoy the sights!
On my first night in Aachen, I met with VTer Stef (TinyTuck) and her two friends, Alex and Alex. To eat, we enjoyed "German tapas" at the Brauerei Goldener Schwan on the Marktplatz (market square) overlooking the historic Rathaus. With dinner, we drank Kölsch -- and we had more later at a couple of other great pubs in the city center. It was an informal and enjoyable VT meeting!
- Pros:Compact City Center; Magnificent Cathedral; Carolus Thermen Bad Aachen
- Cons:It rains a lot
- In a nutshell:Be Like Charlemagne and Swim in Bad Aachen!
The Carolus Thermen Bad Aachen is a large spa facility. The pools at the spa are filled with the same, mineral-rich... more travel advice
At the east end of the pedestrian zone in Aachen is St Adalbert's Church. It is located on the Kaiserplatz (Kaiser... more travel advice
BillNJ's Related Pages
Aachen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Kings and Thermal Baths"
- "Karnival and Charlemagnia"
- "Singing in the reign . . ."
- "Aachen - City of Coronations and Cakes!"
- "Aachen - City of Charlemagne"
- "The city of Aachen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aachen
- Hotels in Aachen
- Transportation in Aachen
- Nightlife in Aachen
- Restaurants in Aachen
- Shopping in Aachen
- Warnings and Dangers in Aachen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aachen
- 34 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Aachen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aachen
Photos in AachenSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos