Düsseldorf Things to Do Tips by BillNJ
Düsseldorf Things to Do: 316 reviews and 467 photos
Another popular area of Düsseldorf is the Mediahafen (Media Port). It is a nice area to look at the water and the many boats. In this area, there are also buildings designed by famous modern architects like Frank Gehry. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Gehry's style -- but I know that others are.
Walking with VTers Sabs and Thomas, I did find one building in the Media Port that I like -- the restaurant Curry which serves excellent currywurst and fries! In the restaurants section, I have included a tip on this place.
In Düsseldorf, the Rheinuferpromenade (Rhine embankment promenade) is a wonderful place to go for a stroll. The weather was dreary on the day that I was there, and it was still very enjoyable. When the weather is nice, it must be awesome.
While there, there are plenty of places to stop for a drink or something to eat. Since many places have seats under tents, you can visit here even if it rains.
Address: Along the Rhine River
In Düsseldorf, the Königsallee (or "the Ko" for short) is a high-end shopping district like New York's 5th Avenue. There are many high-end luxury stores. There are many trees lining the street, and there is also a stagnant body of water separating the two sides. During shopping hours, this street is packed with luxury cars -- and the sidewalks are filled with well-dressed consumers. Even if you are not looking to buy anything, this area is a nice place to take a stroll and watch the busy shoppers.
Directions: City center
Near my hotel on Graf Adolf Strasse, I encountered some palm trees in a center median. I think these trees added a bit of tropical flair to the city.
Address: Adolf Graf Strasse
Directions: City center
At 234 meters tall (768 feet), the Rheinturm (Rhine tower) is the tallest structure in Düsseldorf. I heard that the views from the top are amazing. I didn't go up to the top, though, because it was cloudy with next-to-zero visibility when I was visiting.
After fellow VTers Sabs and Thomas gave me a quick walking tour of some of the main sights in Düsseldorf, we stopped to enjoy some Altbier in Brauerei Uerige. At this time, it was a little after 12:00 noon on a Saturday afternoon -- and there were already many people there who had the same idea. We found a small table outside of the entrance, and we were quickly served an Altbier by one of the Köbes (waiters).
My first impression of Brauerei Uerige was that this was an establishment steeped in tradition. Düsseldorf has a proud brewing history that goes back to 1516 when an alimentary law set rules still observed by brewers. Only four ingredients were allowed under this dictum: water, malted barley or wheat, yeast and hops. In 1712, another decree separated the crafts of baking and beer-making to guarantee the best products from both trades. The brewers top-ferment their beer, the legacy of a time when, lacking refrigeration, they had no choice but to let the yeasts rise to the top of vats. The style still defines Düsseldorf's contribution to beer-making, even in an era of global trade. Because of this traditional process, Altbier doesn't travel well. Therefore, to enjoy a true Altbier experience, you must visit Düsseldorf.
When you visit Brauerei Uerige, you participate in this proud Altbier tradition. You automatically share a bond with all of the other patrons who are enjoying the same beverage as you. Here, the Köbes don't wait to take your order because they know what you will drink. Also, they don't wait for you to order a new one when you are finished. Instead, they keep bringing you a new one until you put your beermat on top of your glass to indicate that you are finished.
In a nutshell, Brauerei Uerige is a German beer-drinking establishment that still does things the traditional way. If you enjoy beer and tradition, this place needs to be on your list of places to visit in Düsseldorf.
Address: Berger Str. 1, Altstadt, 40213 Düsseldorf
The Düsseldorfer Altstadt is known as the longest bar in the world because this small area of the city contains over 300 bars, pubs, and nightclubs. VTers Sabs and Thomas gave me a tour of the area during the daytime when it is much less crowded. In addition to the nightlife, the Altstadt also has some notable landmarks including the Basilica St. Lambertus and the old Rathaus (city hall). There are also some residences with interesting ornamentation like the one in the photo.
More Reviews (11)
- See All Small Underground Subway Line
- See All Frank Gehry Buildings
- See All Rivalry between Düsseldorf and Cologne
BillNJ's Related Pages
Düsseldorf Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Die längste Theke der Welt and ... My new hometown"
- "Düsseldorf in the Snow"
- "Designer Dusseldorf"
- "Altbier on the Rhine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Düsseldorf
- Hotels in Düsseldorf
- Transportation in Düsseldorf
- Nightlife in Düsseldorf
- Restaurants in Düsseldorf
- Shopping in Düsseldorf
- Warnings and Dangers in Düsseldorf
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pinellas Park Hotels
- Long Key State Park Hotels
- Martha's Vineyard
- Devils Island
- Crikvenica Hotels
- Denia Hotels
- Poe Valley State Park
Badges & Stats in Düsseldorf
- 18 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Düsseldorf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Düsseldorf
- updated a Düsseldorf Travel Page "Altbier on the Rhine"
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Vienna Accommodation"
- Commented on one of yooperprof's Düsseldorf travel pages
- Wrote a Review Small Underground Subway Line about Public Transport in Düsseldorf Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Small Underground Subway Line"
Photos in DüsseldorfSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (20)
Latest Düsseldorf hotel reviews
- Le Meridien Dom Hotel
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- A&O City Hauptbahnhof Dusseldorf
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Mercure Hotel Dusseldorf am Stresemannplatz
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Novotel Wuppertal
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Hotel Bellevue
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Romantik Hotel Gravenberg
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2012
- Sorat Hotel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- NH Duesseldorf City Center
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 29, 2013
- CVJM Hotel (YMCA Hotel)
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Hotel Alt Duesseldorf
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Dusseldorf City Centre Konigsallee
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Komet
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 24, 2013
- Hotel Bejuna
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Savoy
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Old Town - Altstadt- 56 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Königsallee- 25 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Rheinturm- 31 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Rhine - Rhein- 35 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Benrath Palace - Schloss Benrath- 9 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Town Hall - Rathaus- 16 Reviews, 26 Photos
- City Centre- 11 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Gehry Buildings- 7 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Stadttor - City Gate- 7 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Media Port - Medienhafen- 6 Reviews, 10 Photos
See All Düsseldorf Things to Do