"Manila - my busy sanctuary" City of Manila by utchie

City of Manila Travel Guide: 3,127 reviews and 8,869 photos

I TOOK IT FOR GRANTED

I never saw Manila as a tourist spot. It was just a busy place that I live in. I guess when we live in one place all our life, we tend to overlook the beautiful things it offer.

But upon reading so many beautiful VT pages about MANILA by foreigners and locals alike, I immediately demanded a second look. Yes, DEMANDED. I had to force Manila sight seeing into my schedule.

And I am now seeing it in tourist's perspective.

And WOW. Manila is indeed beautiful.

1313-B M. Hizon St. Sta Cruz Manila

I live right in the heart of Manila. Walking distance to Santo Tomas University, LRT Bambang Station, the then famous Central Market, Recto, Quiapo, Tayuman, SM San Lazaro, Escolta, Divisoria, Morayta and so much more.

The place where I live is not for the weak. This is why friends don't like crossing roads with me. They also wonder why I never fear walking in Recto or Quiapo alone in the middle of the night. Or how I get good stuffs at bargain prices.

Let me explain.
M. Hizon St, where our home sweet home lies is in between two major roads where Jeep vehicles drive as if they own the streets. No stop lights, no traffic enforcers. You are on your own. You either wait 5minutes to have a clear street or you gather all your courage and cross the street while trying to avoid jeepneys, trycs, motorcycles, cars and other pedestrian crossing. I will be late in school if i wait.. So I always have the courage everytime I go out of the house.

I have walked the busy and dangerous streets of Recto and Quiapo and Morayta, Avenida and Divisoria since In was in gradeschool. The streets mentioned are not-so-safe areas in Manila.d I guess, you learn to love the place you grew up in, as dangerous as it may seem. The place seems to love me as well, I never had, up to this day a bad encounter in the places I mentioned. It has taught me to be street smart as well.

And the good buys I buy from those places. Especially in Divisoria and Quiapo. It beats the normal shopping experience in malls and other classy bazaars.

Growing up where I did, I learned to be friends with different types of people with extreme personalities if I must say so.

Our area is not the ideal place to live in and raise a family. Our neighbors fight almost every day. There are lots of noisy bystanders so insensitive that they shout at one another (note: Normal conversation) even if they are no more than a feet apart, at 2am.

Call me weird but I have learned to love this place. I will someday move to a better place but this will always be home.

Malate Manila - my second home

Robinsons Place Malate Manila - the place to be.

RP is nothing out of the ordinary mall. But this place has been home to me for more than a decade now. It has nurtured many friendships in my life. Its also a home extension for me and my family.

Most of all, RP is where Nishar, my boyfriend of 10 years, and I made so many memories. The walls of RP is witness to how our relationship turned from friendship to romance. Weird as it is, I would love to get married in RP one day.

Slimmers World @ Pan Pacific Hotel, Malate Manila - my inspiration to a new me

I saw my self turn into a better person in Slimmers World. I go here 7 days a week, Monday to Friday after work, Saturday and Sunday, when I wake up. Being here is more than about losing weight.

Being here is being at home. A place where discipline molds me. A place where I can totally be myself, wear anything I want, look like a total mess, be tired, be very sweaty. And I still love myself.

Starbucks Coffee, Harbor Square, Malate Manila

I hang out in most Sbucks branch but the ambience here is different. (yes, i am here right now =) I am friends with the staffs and other permanent guests here. It feels so much like home, but with the addictive aroma.

**The places i just mentioned have one thing in common. Those places were Nishar and I would spend free time and talk about anything under the sun. Little did we know that the little talks we had were turning us into lifetime partners. =)

• Intro Updated Oct 7, 2008

utchie Lives Here!

utchie

“Finallly updating pages | When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.- Jimi Hendrix”

Badges & Stats in City of Manila

Have you been to City of Manila?

Latest Activity in City of Manila