"WELCOME FELLOW VT TRAVELERS!!" EPTraveler's Profile

A Bit of Background

I live with my partner Patrick in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, which is a suburb located just west of Minneapolis. Minneapolis is a very cosmopolitan city that defies the mid-west sterotype of nothing but farmers and fields of corn. The arts are extremely well represented here. With the exception of New York, there are arguably more theater companies in the twin cities area (twin - Minneapolis and St. Paul are seperated by the river Mississippi) than you would find in any other major city in the U.S. Minneapolis is home to the famed Guthrie & Theater de le Jeune Lune theaters, to name a few. Incidently, both theaters mentioned have been past "Tony Award" recipients. Many tourists visit Minneapolis to shop at the Mall of America, located in Bloomington, a suburb just south of the city. MOA is accessible by our new rail system (LRT) from many points in the city, as well as the Humphrey & Lindberg airport terminals.

We enjoy many of the finer things in life including, but not limited to, theater, music, dining and of course TRAVEL. Patrick and I have been fortunate over the years to have had some very interesting and fullfilling (mostly) adventures. Over the course of time, I intend to share some of past and furture journeys with you and to offer, hopefully, some meaningful advice to others pointed in the same direction.

Until recently...

In the summer of 2006, Patrick and I made the decision to sell our sailboat, the "Sassy Dolphin" which we bought in 1991 and had kept in Bayfield, Wisconsin, a 4 hour drive north from our home. Bayfield, is a wonderful little town on the south shore of Lake Superior, which is the largest freshwater lake in the world. The best part about Bayfield, is the fact that it is one of the gateways to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, a suprisingly little-known area of beautiful islands and abudant wildlife.

The time seemed right to make a change. We have so many fantastic memories and pictures from these years, but now, would like to be more flexible and see much more of the world -- Translation: We got tired of camping on the water and frankly, the 4 hour drive (one way) was a pain in the butt!!

In the near future, I will create a travel page dedicated to this area. We will always return to the lake and encourage all who have the opportunity, to check it out. You will not be disappointed!

Please feel free to e-mail me with questions and I will be happy to answer as best I can.

The Queen Elizabeth 2

In October of 2001, in celebration of over 10 years as partners, Patrick and I boarded the QE2 for an incredible transatlantic cruise from Boston to Southhampton, England. The journey continued by Eurorail on to Paris for a week, and finished up with a week in London before flying back to Minneapolis. Not only was this journey special to us as a couple, but it was even more appreciated due to the events of September 11, 2001. The ship was originally scheduled to leave from New York. We had visions of sailing past the Statue of Liberty before heading out into the vast Atlantic. Of course, that was not to be. For weeks after the tradgedy, we reluctantly began to think about cancelling our trip. We were so excited to make this trip happen, but were also dealing with some incredibly powerful emotions. New York had been, and always will be, one of our very favorite places to holiday. The harbor was then closed to all but essential traffic. It wasn't until Cunard, the owners of the QE2, announced that the sailing would take place from Boston, that we once again began to grow anxious and look forward to our special trip. There were some nervous times because everyone, everywhere, was expectedly cautious. Seeing armed soldiers at the Eiffel Tower, holding our breath as we entered the Chunnel, it put an edge on our trip that was at times frustrating, but ultimately this interesting time to travel will forever stand out as a wonderful trip for a multitude of reasons. I plan to dedicate a travelogue to this trip in the near future.

Thank You VT Travelers!!

Happy and safe travels to all who come across this page. Thanks to everyone from VT who have generously shared their experiences, pictures, and advise, now and forever!

PLEASE TAKE TO HEART AND REMEMBER....

When you travel, you are a guest. So...ACT LIKE ONE!! :>)

• Intro Updated Oct 23, 2006

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
EPTraveler's Profile Photo

EPTraveler

“Life is a banquet... Don't starve yourself!!”

Ranked Member