"Astana - The symbol of an ambitious Kazakhstan!" Gorod Astana by WorldPassenger
Gorod Astana Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 84 photos
The controversial governmental capital of Kazakhstan is Astana (formerly named Tselinograd, Akmolinsk, and Aqmola) and it is the second largest city in Kazakhstan. Astana means "capital city" in Kazakh. It took over the role of capital city from Almaty (the largest city) in December 1998. It is a city seen as a symbol of the resource-rich nation's ambition to become a modern and developed state.
Astana is controversial to some Kazakh’s as the capital of Kazakhstan since so much public money was devoted to moving the capital and then building new facilities. Money that they feel could have been better spent in other ways. But all of that is water under the bridge as they say.
Astana is located in the northern part of the country, on the Ishim River, in a very flat, semi-desert steppe region. The elevation of Astana is only 1,138 feet (347 m) above sea level – a little bit higher than Atlanta, Georgia in the USA. The city was founded as a Russian fortress in 1824 and named Akmolinsk. Astana is known to be the second coldest capital in the world after the Mongolian capital. For example, January's average temperature is -15 C (+5 F).
Besides being the seat of government, Astana produces agricultural machinery and building-materials and chemicals and also has leather-tanning, food-processing, clothing and footwear and meat-packing industries as well as being an important rail junction. It is also trying to build up its air cargo services to become an air cargo hub in central Asia.
- Pros:Nice new city
- Cons:A long way from anywhere else
- In a nutshell:I enjoyed Astana and seeing the city at night
The Tre-Kronor (three crowns) restaurant is a brewery/pub restaurant that serves a European cuisine. I ate at this... more travel advice
The Radisson SAS hotel in Astana is very close to the "Horse" bridge that crosses the Ishim River. There are horse... more travel advice
WorldPassenger's Related Pages
Gorod Astana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Astana - The symbol of an ambitious Kazakhstan!"
- Create a Gorod Astana Travel Page
- Things to Do in Gorod Astana
- Hotels in Gorod Astana
- Transportation in Gorod Astana
- Nightlife in Gorod Astana
- Restaurants in Gorod Astana
- Warnings and Dangers in Gorod Astana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gorod Astana
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Gorod Astana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gorod Astana
Top 5 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saratov Intro, 16 reviews, 40 photos
- Gorod Astana Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Island Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Almaty Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
No friends yet.