"Palembang - the second largest city in Sumatra" Palembang by adriansyah
Palembang Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 99 photos
Pelembang is the provincial capital of South Sumatra province about 10 hours drive from Bengkulu. It is the second largest city in Sumatra after Medan, is huge, sprawling metropolis.
Palembang is rich of oil and fertilizer production. It has little to offer tourists. It sits astride Musi river, the two halves of the city linked by the huge Ampera bridge. The Ampera bridge is the city’s pride.
In the 6th century Palembang was the center of the highly developed Sriwijaya kingdom and the center of Buddhist scholar in Southeast Asia, but few relics from this period remain. In the 18th century Palembang became an Islamic kingdom.
The city’s name comes from two words Pa (means place) and limbang (means to pan for gold). The prosperity of the Sriwijaya city is said to have been based on gold found in local rivers.
- Pros:It's a good destination for shopping with colorful street markets.
- Cons:It's a hot, humid and crowded city
- In a nutshell:Palembang is a very big city, completely non-touristic. Recommended for traveller, but not for tourists
Locks and cover for your luggage – it’s better to be safe than sorry. In Palembang and in most part of western Sumatra,... more travel advice
If you are a white foreigner (locally known as bule) you tend to get stared at in places where few white foreigners go,... more travel advice
adriansyah's Related Pages
Palembang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PALEMBANG,MUSI RIVER , AMPERA BRIDGE"
- "City by the River"
- "Pasar Kentut - Fart Market"
- "Palembang trip"
- "Palembang - the second largest city in Sumatra"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palembang
- Hotels in Palembang
- Restaurants in Palembang
- Shopping in Palembang
- Warnings and Dangers in Palembang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palembang
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Palembang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palembang
Photos in PalembangSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Bengkulu Intro, 48 reviews, 164 photos
- Bengkulu Province Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos
- Curup Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Sumatra Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Kepahiang Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos
- Padang 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Palembang Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Pagaralam 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Argamakmur 1 review, 5 photos
- West Sumatra Province 2 reviews, 2 photos