"Palembang - the second largest city in Sumatra" Top 5 Page for this destination Palembang by adriansyah
Palembang Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 119 photos
Pelembang is the provincial capital of South Sumatra province about 10 hours drive from Bengkulu. It is the second largest city in Sumatra after Medan, is huge, sprawling metropolis.
Palembang is rich of oil and fertilizer production. It has little to offer tourists. It sits astride Musi river, the two halves of the city linked by the huge Ampera bridge. The Ampera bridge is the city’s pride.
In the 6th century Palembang was the center of the highly developed Sriwijaya kingdom and the center of Buddhist scholar in Southeast Asia, but few relics from this period remain. In the 18th century Palembang became an Islamic kingdom.
The city’s name comes from two words Pa (means place) and limbang (means to pan for gold). The prosperity of the Sriwijaya city is said to have been based on gold found in local rivers.
- Pros:It's a good destination for shopping with colorful street markets.
- Cons:It's a hot, humid and crowded city
- In a nutshell:Palembang is a very big city, completely non-touristic. Recommended for traveller, but not for tourists
Hiring a car and driver is a convenient way to get around Palembang and its neighbor cities. The hire of self-drive car... more travel advice
Keep in mind the pickpockets in Palembang are notorious. Be particularly careful around public places especially at any... more travel advice
adriansyah's Related Pages
Palembang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VISIT PALEMBANG"
- "City by the River"
- "Pasar Kentut - Fart Market"
- "Palembang - the second largest city in Sumatra"
- "Palembang trip"
- "The old Kingdom of Sriwijaya"
- "Palembang, Venice of the East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palembang
- Hotels in Palembang
- Transportation in Palembang
- Restaurants in Palembang
- Shopping in Palembang
- Warnings and Dangers in Palembang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palembang
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Palembang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palembang
Top 10 Pages
- Bengkulu Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos
- Bengkulu Province Intro, 25 reviews, 94 photos
- Curup Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos
- Sumatra Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Kepahiang Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palembang Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Padang 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Pagaralam 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Argamakmur 1 review, 5 photos
- West Sumatra Province 2 reviews, 2 photos