"ladyfisher's new Avon Page" Avon by ladyfisher
Avon Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 70 photos
This beautiful stretch of land, from Corolla through Nags Head to Hatteras and Ocracoke islands, is one of the most popular vacation areas on the East Coast.
Part of the Outer Banks' charm is the remoteness of the area. Since it is only accessible by ferry or by driving over one of the bridges that connects it to the mainland, once you're here, you have the feeling of being far removed from the rest of the world. It is really not that far. And in recent years, with an ever-growing tourism industry, goods and services have come to the island. It's fascinating to hear locals tell of long drives to stores on the mainland to buy groceries or to receive medical care back in the old days. The "old days," however, were less than two decades ago!
Here, the first English colonists set up camp. Blackbeard and his band of buccaneers anchored sloops along the shallow sounds. Wilbur and Orville Wright also flew the world's first airplane, buoyed by stiff winter winds and brazen determination.
Nowadays, despite its rise as a favorite resort destination, the Outer Banks continues to be a kickback kind of place. You don't have to dress up here. Shorts and sandals are the accepted garb in even the finest locales. Shrimp, crab, and dozens of species of fresh-caught fish (often hauled in that very day by Outer Banks fishermen) are available at nearly every one of the slew of restaurants that serves tourists and locals alike.
... Off The Beaten Path (9)
Blackbeard's Hangout Blackbeard, alias Edward Teach, made Ocracoke Island his hideout and on November 22, 1718 was... more travel advice
Ocracoke... Off The Beaten Path (9)
Blackbeard! Ocracoke Legend Like Hatteras, Ocracoke has spawned many colorful legends. One of the most intriguing is... more travel advice
ladyfisher's Related Pages
Avon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ladyfisher's new Avon Page"
- "Welcome to Avon on the Outer Banks of NC"
- "Avon, my summer getaway"
- "Outer Banks Vacation"
- "rege's new Avon Page"
- "avonlady's new Avon Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avon
- Hotels in Avon
- Transportation in Avon
- Nightlife in Avon
- Restaurants in Avon
- Shopping in Avon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avon
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Avon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avon
Photos in AvonSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Key Largo Intro, 27 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pittsburgh Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jamaica Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Maine Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Avon Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- North Carolina Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues