"DK-3900 Nuuk (Godthab), Greenland's capital." Nuuk by mwe
Nuuk Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 123 photos
How many people could name the capital of Greenland? ...Nuuk has been its official name since Home Rule was enacted in 1979.
Nuuk's also known as Godthab (Good Hope), a name given by Norwegian missionary Hans Egede in 1728.
Nuuk's January 2007 population figure is 15,047: 11,862 of whom were born in Greenland.
Walking around Nuuk, I guessed about 80% of the people were Inuit (Eskimos), about 18% Danish (Greenland's colonisers), 1% Canadian and 1% others.
'Experts' and 'ologists claim rough, uncouth, uncivilised behaviour is caused by people who live in featureless landscapes, 'concrete jungles', etc..
...How do they explain Nuuk? There are blocks of flats in Nuuk with magnificent views (24 hours of daylight in June/July) of the iceberg-dotted sea and snowcapped mountains (not things you'd see from council flats in Birmingham or south London) yet residents play loud music, dump household rubbish in ditches, dump tyres, batteries etc. and scrawl graffiti everywhere.
Social commentators seem to think drinking heavily is a British disease. ...Look at my Local Customs "Alcohol" tip and be surprised!
Denmark colonised Greenland, so they still exert a strong influence.
1) The currency is the Danish Krone.
2) Postal addresses are Danish, e.g. Nuuk is DK-3900.
3) Motor vehicles have Danish-style registrations, prefixed with "GR" for Greenland and a "DK" nationality plate.
- Pros:Imagine Switzerland with seaside and Icebergs.
- Cons:Rough, uncivilised locals.
- In a nutshell:The outskirts of Earth.
I was in Nuuk on the 'night' of July 9th/10th. The sun set at 11:38pm and rose at 3:25am. In most parts of the world... more travel advice
mwe's Related Pages
Nuuk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another one of the places I really want to visit"
- "Nuuk the capital of Greenland"
- "The capital of Greenland"
- "DK-3900 Nuuk (Godthab), Greenland's capital."
- "I would like to go there one day"
- "Greenland AKA something. I should look at the map."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nuuk
- Hotels in Nuuk
- Transportation in Nuuk
- Restaurants in Nuuk
- Shopping in Nuuk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nuuk
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Nuuk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nuuk
Top 10 Pages
- Wealdstone Intro, 39 reviews, 19 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Boston Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Reading Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos
- Toronto Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Dieppe Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayo Largo Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos