"SeaBreezeUSA's new Gaeta page" Gaeta by SeaBreezeUSA
Gaeta Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 331 photos
<font color=navy>The old town of Gaeta sits at the very end of a promontory jutting not into the Tyrrhenian Sea. A fishing port and seaside resort in a picturesque location, the old town is overlooked by the castle (7th century). This ancient centre still stands behind its old walls and remains largely medieval. There is plenty to see here, and it might be an idea to stay, as the beaches, the restaurants and the daily life of this seaside town are lively and varied. Apart from the <b>Duomo (Sant' Erasmo),</b> there is a 13th-century fortress and a maze of little ancient alleys and streets harbouring churches, old door-ways and quirky little squares full of cats. The cathedral itself has been rebuilt at various times but its campanile (belltower), with its decorative upper parts, is of about 1148. <b>The cathedral</b> (1279) is notable for its admirable sculptures and paintings as well as its Arab-Norman bell tower. A great rock known as <b>Torre d'Orlando (the Tower of Orlando)</b> dominates Gaeta and on it is the circular mausoleum 13 meters high of the Roman consul Lucius Munatius Plancus, who died at Gaeta in 22BC. Mount Orlando divides ancient Gaeta, called Sezione Erasmo, from the newer part of town. This is the Porto Salvo, consisting of a series of narrow, straight streets of brightly painted houses and lots of wrought-iron balconies.
The sanctuary of <b>Montagna Spaccata</b> is at Punta della Trinit, where one can see a chasm which, according to tradition, opened up on the death of Jesus.
The great panaramic view of this quiet town. more travel advice
SeaBreezeUSA's Related Pages
Gaeta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gaeta--Hidden Jewel Between Rome & Naples"
- "Gaeta and two Mausoleums"
- "Gaeta, the Italian beach resort"
- "Gaeta & The Love of my Life"
- "SUMMER TIME IN GAETA"
- "Gaeta in South Lazio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gaeta
- Hotels in Gaeta
- Transportation in Gaeta
- Nightlife in Gaeta
- Restaurants in Gaeta
- Shopping in Gaeta
- Warnings and Dangers in Gaeta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gaeta
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Gaeta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaeta
Photos in GaetaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Baton Rouge Intro, 12 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 1 review, 58 photos, 11 travelogues
- Pennsylvania Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Naples Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 4 travelogues
- Providence Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mobile Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pensacola Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Biloxi Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (85)
Latest Gaeta hotel reviews