"The wickedest street in all London" Brixton by TheLongTone
Brixton Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 21 photos
The A23 London-Brigton road climbs away from the Oval and there's Brixton. Next stop Streatham.
In the nineteenth century Brixton was a rather posh and slightly raffish-lots of showbus types, dont you know suburb: it's latter fame dated from the nineteen fifties, when tge name Brixton became associated with the large afro-carribean community in the area.
The word wicked should be understood in it's originsl meaning, as used by Sherlock Holmes to refer to the Ratcliffe Highway, which leads form St Katherine's dock down to Wapping and was the haunt of any self-respecting lascar seaman or wall-eyed chinaman.
For Conan Doyle's opium dens we substitute the Atlantic public house on the intersection of Coldharbour Lane and Atlantic Road, the latter of which was, in the sixties, possibly a candidate for the title. Certaionly nor any more. though.
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Brixton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rock down to Electric Avenue (or Coldharbour Lane)"
- "Bricky - Lively, but no riots for 30 years"
- "The wickedest street in all London"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brixton
- Nightlife in Brixton
- Restaurants in Brixton
- Shopping in Brixton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brixton
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Brixton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brixton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos