"More of a dirty greenish colour" Top 5 Page for this destination Dover by TheLongTone

Dover Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 733 photos

There was a great fuss recently when some travel guide decscribed Dover as 'little more than a glorified loading ramp for the ferries.' A nice turn of phrase, I think, and not that much of a exaggeration. If I was a tourist here I think I'd be out of there inside fortyeight hours, and I like taking my time, giving places a chance. But Dover has always been a place to get out of. It's why it's there.

Dover occupies the valley of the river Dour (which gives it it's name) where it meets the sea, and is contained by the flanking chalk hills: the spine running inland bearing the castle to the East on one side and the Western Heights on the other. The port, now divided into two sections separated by the inner harbour and town beach, sprawls the whole length. The town is organised around the London road running inland: Market Square at the bottom, becoming the unexciting high street . The upper part of this is now pedestrianised but it eventually becomes the London Road. This road is now replaced as the principal commercial route to the ferries by the motorway, which allows approach to Dover either by skirting round to the east of the castle or from the direction of Folkestone,

Recent history has not been kind to Dover. It suffered badly during the 39-45 war from bombardment by German artillery: their work was completed by insensitive town planning in the post-war years. The sea frontage to the Grand harbour tells the whole story: one third gracious regency terrace: the remainder shabby and ugly low-rise flats, punctuated by a rectangular brown box built, I believe, for the DHSS. All entirely isolated from the town by a six-lane dual carriageway for the incessant stream of artics that Dover is all about.

• Pros:Lots of history. It's by the sea!
  • Cons:...........see above.
  • In a nutshell:Mixed reviews. It's a port town. Give it a break.
  • Last visit to Dover: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Your opening photo doesn't do much to sell Dover as a tourist destination other than for the ferries, etc. It is nice to read about something other than the White Cliffs and you did find some points of interest!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I once stayed in Dover for twenty-four hours because my then-ten-year-old son wanted to see the castle -- which we both found quite impressive, actually. I think we went to Deal afterwards to see another one.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 6:29 AM

Antony, interesting and amusing Dover page. I agree, not really much of a tourist destination. fergy.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2007 at 7:29 AM

your pages are such a treat - you actually have opinions about things - let alone a soupcon of wit

• Jan 11, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Interesting intro - we got off the ferry and drove as far away from Dover as Folkestone - stayed a year. Not too much difference in those places I think. Love the warning tip! LOL!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Nice to see another local on v.t

TheLongTone

“If the viper is too heavy to carry, why use a python as a head-cushion?”

Badges & Stats in Dover