"Jewel of the North Circular" Hendon by TheLongTone
Hendon Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 11 photos
I went to college here, at Middlesex Poly (as it was then). Commuted there from Highgate. Couldn't see anything special about the place....big police training college. And the excellent (if you like aircraft) RAF museum. Errrm...that's it.
Passing through Hendon to visit rhe RAF museum was a curious experience. Although I didn't generally travel to Hendon by underground when I was a student there, I must have walked to or fron the station many many times and not a bell was rung. Another affectless London landscape.
The walk from Hendon underground to the RAF museum is not recommended.Not by the RAF museum, who recommend those hapless wights without a car to get a bus from Colindale, and not by me either.
I approached from Hendom because ir was only marginally further away and I was unwilling to fork out good money for a single-stop excursion into Zone 3. Turning right out of Hendon underground station into Watford Way, you are in a completely unremarable vista of shabby inter-war London surburbia, with the added bonus of sixlanes of traffic thundering through. As you walk up towards Aerodrome Road (sounds good to me) its made increasingly clear to you that any pavement is a bit of an afterthought, this is all meant for big lumps of powered metal
When I reached Aerodrome Road I found there was no sanctioned way to cross the road save a pedestrian underpass. If there were any snows of yesterday to be had they were here, melted and forming an uninvitibng sump in the centre of the passage. Generally such obstacles are but nothing to an intrepid type like me but I was wearing a brand new pair of daps. I had to rely on the local know-how displayed by a couple of ladies returning home with their shopping to negociate the pedestrian-hostile phasing of the lights.
- Pros:There is a tube station
- Cons:Bisected by rampant traffic
- In a nutshell:Easy to get somewhere else in a hurry
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Hendon Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Hendon
- 1 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Hendon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hendon
Photos in HendonSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos