"You'd hardly notice you were here.........." Streatham by TheLongTone
Streatham Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 13 photos
aka the Brghton Road.
Streatham High Road has been famed for it's mediocrity since time immemorial. Or maybe since the nineteen twenties, when it must have looked ..I was going to say dashingly modern but I can't bring myself to do so. Before then there were fields here! With cows and all!
I grew up there, glorious St Reatham, absolutely defined by the high road. All the way from where the South Circular (what a stupendous feat of roadbuilding, not) crosses the A23 at the top of Brixton Hill, past Streatham Hill Station, shops shops shops, past the library and the copshop, ding ding St Leonards. Where the road veers to the left, dips down and you're at Streatham common. That's about it.
Streatham was the birthplace of Horatio Phillips, who has some claim to having made the first powered flight in Britain. Philillips was noted for his work on aerofoil sections in the 188os, buildng an early wind tunnel: but although he claimed a 500 foot flight in1907it is difficult to believe the claim looking at the thing.
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Streatham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South London with many sides"
- "You'd hardly notice you were here.........."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Streatham
- Transportation in Streatham
- Nightlife in Streatham
- Restaurants in Streatham
- See All...
Explore the World
- South America
- Castellón de la Plana
- Mont Saint Michel
- Ausable Chasm
- Shirwal Hotels
- Hawaii (Big Island) Hotels
- Chennai (Madras)
- Eustatia Island Hotels
- Ankola Hotels
- Valdosta Hotels
- Eureka Springs
- Pulau Perhentian Besar Hotels
Badges & Stats in Streatham
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Streatham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Streatham
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos