"The country..................." Yetminster by TheLongTone
Yetminster Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
My stepsister lives near Yetminster. Has done for donkeys. Never got round to visiting until now. Too far from London. But now I'm based in Bristol, its a mere two or so hours by train to Yetminster, which is the nearest station.
It's in the country, by crikey. Surrounded by a great deal of what has been described as 'lots of eff-all with sheep on it, miles from the nearest Tube'. And, according to the somewhat optimistic tourist information board at the station the nearby (and charmingly named) Ryme Intrinseca boasts a very early example of a Nissen hut. Which I will, in the fullness of time, go and take a gander at.
Being a non-driver I go there by train. It's the sketchiest connection imaginable: Yetminster is a request stop. Arriving, you have to tell the train's conductor that you want to get off at Yetmister and would therefoe be most gratified if the train would stop there: leaving, you have to flag it down like a bus. There are only about six trains a day and I've never ever shared the platform with another hopeful traveller. I never have much faith in the arrival of awaited trains: and here I am always faintly surprised when I hear the train's hooter in the distance.
And the track is single-line- line working between Yeovil and Weymouth (Thank-you Dr Beeching). Which means if your train misses it's slot to a train going the other way, you are in for a long wait. Truly travelling by public transport makes you freel like a ninth-class citizen at times.
- Pros:In the country
- Cons:In the country
- In a nutshell:Rural.
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Yetminster Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Yetminster
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Yetminster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yetminster
Photos in YetminsterSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos