"What's not to like?" Sfax by TheLongTone
Sfax Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 53 photos
I wouldn't go as far as Ronald Firbank and call Sfax the mostt beautiful city in the world, but as far as the center goes I thought it most attractive. The suburbs may be ugly and it may be surrounded by industry but show me a major city anywhere in the world of which this is not true.
Essentially the centre consists of the medina, secure inside it's immaculately restored walls, and a fairly small French new town occupying the area between the medina and the sea.
The medina is fairly compact and easily navigable without too much fear of getting lost, and is both bustling with life and, in sharp contrast to Tunis, almost devoid of shops selling tourist knicknacks. What it does have in unnatural abundance is shoe shops: the main street leading up towards the Great Mosque from Bab al Diwan is almost entirely devoted to them. Not because the people of Sfax are avid shoe consumers but because Sfax is the centre of the Tunisian shoe industry: most of the shops are in fact more like wholesale showrooms.
I suppose I didn't choose the best time to visit La Perla, and with good reason. I was catching the 01.15 night train to... more travel advice
Another first-rate museum. The name is a bit of a misnomer, since most of the exhibits here reflect the life of a member... more travel advice
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Sfax Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What's not to like?"
- "Ar-rujoo' ila medinat Sfax - Return to Sfax"
- "peaceful sfax"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sfax
- Hotels in Sfax
- Transportation in Sfax
- Restaurants in Sfax
- Shopping in Sfax
- Warnings and Dangers in Sfax
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sfax
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Sfax?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sfax
Photos in SfaxSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos