"Its a hole!" Top 5 Page for this destination Matmata by TheLongTone
Matmata Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 251 photos
Matamata is famous for it's 'troglodite' excavated houses: these in turn are famous for the fact that scenes from Star Wars were shot in one of them. This does of course bring the benefit for the tourist of the existence of more than one hotel in one of the remarkable dwellings.
Situated in a saddle between three peaks and forming the junction between three roads (north to Gabes, west to Douz and south into the pre-sahara Matmata is at first sight a fairly unlovely place. Obviously a village of subterranean dwellings is not going to make much impression on the landscape, and since Matmata now has a large number of conventional buildings (including three large hotels) at first sight all that you see is an unremarkable sprawl of modern buildings occupying the saddle between three peaks. Originally the inhabitants of the region lived up in these peaks (apparently there are visible traces of these, but scaling them is not advisable because they overlook a large army base), but moved down into the present location some three or four hundred years ago.
If you're travelling via Gabes, note that the louages for Matmata do not leave from the main louage terminal. , but... more travel advice
As tourist traps go this is laughable. It's virtually labelled TOURIST TRAP and exists almost solely for tourist who... more travel advice
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Matmata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Troglodytic houses"
- "Home of the Troglydytes"
- "Its a hole!"
- "matmata - star wars comes to town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matmata
- Hotels in Matmata
- Transportation in Matmata
- Nightlife in Matmata
- Restaurants in Matmata
- Warnings and Dangers in Matmata
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Matmata
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Matmata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matmata
Photos in MatmataSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos