"ERFOUD: GATEWAY TO THE SOUTH" Top 5 Page for this destination Erfoud by TheLongTone
Erfoud Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 54 photos
Erfoud is largely a French colonial creation, the administrative centre fot the Tafilalt.
It borders the main road South from Er Rachidia , which proceeds on via Rissani/Sijilmassa to swing Eastwards to the Draa valley, running south of Djebel Sarhro.
The bus swings off the highway down the 300 metres of the town's Avenue Mohammed V and draws up in an arcaded square, on one side of which is the gated souq. There are cafes under the arcades, a handful of food vendors. In the middle of the square the drivers of the Grandes Taxis wait for trade by a tea stall.
That's about it. My guidebook is fairly dismissive about it, describing it as 'largely a staging-post for 4x4 trips into the desert'. I can't actually fault their assesment, but I rather liked the place.
Erfoud wasn't my destination: That was Sijilmassa, or it's sorry ghost, a few kilometres along the road. But I had started the day in Figuig, some 400 kilometres of road away, this was my third bus of the day and when it seemed that the bus didn't continue on to Rissani, we had to go in that bus, no that bus, I just thought 'sod it, I'm off the bus', shouldered my rucksack & swung off up Av Mohammed V in search of a bed for the night. The hotel was nice, the price was right and after Figuig Erfoud seemed a bustling metropolis, and I spent a pleasnt couple of days there.
Two or three kilometres southeast of town, thie fort is still used by the army so the very top of the hill is,... more travel advice
The main stores selling stone articles, fossils & decorative minerals are strung out along the main road from Er... more travel advice
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Erfoud Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Erfoud Gateway to Erg Chebbi"
- "Sahara Sunrise"
- "ERFOUD: GATEWAY TO THE SOUTH"
- "Not really a lot here but ATMs, service station..."
- "Dunes of Merzouga"
- "Sand, Sand, Sand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erfoud
- Hotels in Erfoud
- Transportation in Erfoud
- Nightlife in Erfoud
- Restaurants in Erfoud
- Shopping in Erfoud
- Warnings and Dangers in Erfoud
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Erfoud
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Erfoud?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erfoud
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Latest Erfoud hotel reviews
- Salam Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2012