"Ancient Berber city" Sijilmassa by TheLongTone
Sijilmassa Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 3 photos
Between the eighth and thirteenth centuries Sijilmassa was a large and important city, due to its situation as the Northern ‘terminus’ of the Western trans-sahara caravan route, taking manufactured goods and salt and returning with gold, slaves and other goods such as ivory and ostrich -feathers. Reputedly a days march from Northern to Southern gates, virtually nothing now remains. When Leo Africanus passed through in the early sixteenth century the ancient city was already a ruin.
Little has been done in the way of archaeological investigation or preservation, and there is nothing to aid the tourist. Since there are no real ‘sights’ to see, this is understandable. Nevertheless there is enough to fire the imagination.
Sijilmassa is an UNESCO world heritage site and is on their endangered list.
What was Sijilmassa is now Rissani, which seems to enjoys a dubious reputation.
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Sijilmassa Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sijilmassa
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Sijilmassa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sijilmassa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos