"Not quite the end of the road" Zagora by TheLongTone
Zagora Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 296 photos
Zagora is a French Colonial ribbon town fifty days by camel from Timbuktoo by camel. Allegedly. Of course you can't do that journey nowadays. For starters the border with Algeria is closed. And secondly nowadays you'd probably have trouble assembling a viable caravan. Today's ship of the desert is a Toyota Land Cruiser, and the town's major industry seems to be 'adventure trips' into the fringe of the desert. It's all neatly memorialised in the painted sign at the southern end of the main street, an object that only exists to be photographed. There is a replica of it outside the most exorbitant-looking of the ksour-style hotels that cluster among the palm groves on the other side of the Draa, for the convenience of the money-rich, time poor holidaymakers staying there who can't make the real thing. Which is a replacement of an earlier, more crudely painted sign that (I think) used to grace the collective taxi station - formerly also the bus station - in the middle of main street (I saw a sun-blasted ancient postcard of this in a slightly out of the way shop in Zagora and have no idea why I didn't buy it. I probably only had a 100 dirham note)
- Cons:I do hate leaving town by the road I arrived on.
Just a bit of fun, this cod sign can be found at the end of main street just round the corner of the Hotel Palmerie. Of... more travel advice
This is a very pleasant modern hotel with a spacious terrace looking out over the desert margin and a small swimming... more travel advice
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Zagora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting The Hump in Zagora!"
- "Les folies berberes"
- "Zagora and the Draa Valley"
- "The Gate of the Desert"
- "Not quite the end of the road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zagora
- Hotels in Zagora
- Transportation in Zagora
- Nightlife in Zagora
- Restaurants in Zagora
- Shopping in Zagora
- Warnings and Dangers in Zagora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zagora
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Zagora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zagora
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos