Cairo Favorite Tips by TheLongTone
Cairo Favorites: 225 reviews and 240 photos
Favorite thing: Small juice bars are everywhere in Cairo and should not be missed. They offer a variety of juices, either freshly juiced to order or in the case of out-of season fruits, made up from a sirop. My favorite, and popular with Cairenes too, is 'nus bi nus' (half and half), a mixture of orange and carrot. Another drink often to be found is made from sugar cane...as you might expect it is sweeter than sweet.
There's a system in many of them: you pay one person who then gives you a token which to hand over to the man actually responsible for producing your juice. Prices will generally be on display: generally between 1 and 5 LE ,depending on the fruit.
The cautious should disregard all the rubbish you hear about Cairo water ('and even keep sure you keep your mouth shut when showering'.....puh-lease). Yes they use tapwater. No you won't catch anything from it. It's well chlorinated. Not very nice to drink on it's own but perfectly potable.
Favorite thing: Favorite thing? Budgeting is a task?
What are your needs and expectations?
All amounts in Egyptian pounds (LE) unless stated. 2007/8 prices.
The necessities: food and drink.
Eating like an Egyptian with a proper income, you can lunch well for 10le or less. Drinks in most Cairo cafes are cheap: maybe 1 for tea (black) i.50 for a small black coffee & the juice bars the same: or not much more.
You can get by on very little, 10 will buy you a good lunch.
Taxis I avoid like the plague. How long is a piece of string. 5-10 for most trips within the main Cairo area.
And there's your events & entertainments. Museums are 10 LE upwards,
And being Egypt, there is baksheesh.
More important is the kind of money you want to carry and where you carry it. Accumulating enough small denominations so you have 1 le notes for small baksheesh and some fives/tens so you can give taxi drivers the money you want them to have as opposed to the money they want.
I'd go out with fifty, and could well get back to my hotel in the evening with change, having dined well.
Favorite thing: Lots of my tips are about mosques & so on, so for those unacquainted with the termshere are afew terms
Hypostyle: A general architectural term, not specific to islamic or mosque architedture. It means any structure in which a flat roof is held up by rows of supporting pillars.
Mihrab: the niche that indicates the direction to face for prayer. The ritual focus of a mosque, often very beautifully decorated..
Minaret: the tower from which the muezzin used to perform the call to prayer.
Minbar: the pulpit. found to right of the mihrab.
Quibla wall: the wall containing the mihrab indicating the direction in which mecca lies.
More Reviews (46)
- See All Ahwa Mazbout for me
- See All The great feast
- See All Bab Ftouh
- See All That'll do nicely.
- See All Hieroglyphs: just turn a deaf ear
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairo`s yellow pages!"
- "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- "CAIRO... still thinking of..."
- "3 decades living in Cairo and yet exploring more"
- "~ Cairo ~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairo
- Hotels in Cairo
- Transportation in Cairo
- Nightlife in Cairo
- Restaurants in Cairo
- Shopping in Cairo
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairo
- See All...
Explore the World
- McConnells Mill State Park Hotels
- Canary Islands
- Nha Trang Hotels
- San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area Hotels
- Camels Hump State Park Hotels
- Abu Dhabi
- Perumbakkam Hotels
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 49 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 157 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
Photos in CairoSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Latest Cairo hotel reviews
- Caroline Crillon Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Nubian Hostel
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 4, 2012
- El Gezirah
- 437 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- The Karvin Hotel
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Canadian Hostel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- King Hotel
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013
- Hotel Luna
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Lialy Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 1, 2013
- Nileview Bed And Breakfast
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 5, 2010
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2012
- Delta Pyramids Hotel
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 21, 2013
- Akram Inn
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2010
- Gresham Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2012
- New Palace Hotel
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 24, 2013
- Egyptian Museum- 204 Reviews, 302 Photos
- Gizeh Pyramids- 282 Reviews, 513 Photos
- Khan el Khalili- 82 Reviews, 144 Photos
- Citadel- 131 Reviews, 295 Photos
- River Nile- 53 Reviews, 93 Photos
- Coptic Cairo- 65 Reviews, 129 Photos
- Tower- 42 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Sakkara : Step Pyramid- 39 Reviews, 87 Photos
- Coptic Cairo - Hanging Church- 25 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Whirling Dervishes- 8 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All Cairo Things to Do