"Time for another lemonade." Say'un by TheLongTone
Say'un Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 71 photos
I liked Sayun very much indeed. It's the kind of town where even though you seem to be the only tourist in town nobody takes an undue amount of interest in you. It certainly doesn't crackle with energy: it's hot by eight and by eleven even the locals are looking stunned by the heat. but it feels busy enough: lots of life, and a good sense of place, with the vast white sultan's palace dominating the town and the whole set in the extraordinary landscape of the hadramawt.
Sayun is the effective capital of the Hadramawt oasis, and is probably the best base for exploration of the region. There are good transport links with the rest of the hadramawt, there is a Tourist Police office where you can arrange permits to travel further afield than tarim or Shibam, which can be visited without a permit and there are numerous hotels. (Sayun was recently the location for the annual Reunification Day celebrations, which seems to produce a wave of hotel building)
- Pros:It's a good thing there are plenty of juice stalls.
- Cons:Because it's hot, hot hot
- In a nutshell:Hydration is an issue
If bats ain't nightlife, what is? The hotel swimming pool attracted large numbers of bats in early evening, swooping in... more travel advice
My favorite place for a drink in Sayun was the cafe opposite the Sultan's palace. Lemonade for a quick thirst-quencher.... more travel advice
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Say'un Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Time for another lemonade."
- "Manhattan of the desert"
- "City in the Wadi"
- "Welcome to Sayun"
- "Old center of the Incense Trade Route"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Say'un
- Hotels in Say'un
- Transportation in Say'un
- Nightlife in Say'un
- Restaurants in Say'un
- Shopping in Say'un
- Warnings and Dangers in Say'un
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Say'un
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Say'un?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Say'un
Photos in Say'unSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos