"Ta'izz" Ta`izz by TheLongTone
Ta`izz Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 35 photos
Like so many places I visited in Yemen, I wasn't here long enough to gain anything but the most fleeting impression of Ta'izz. It's now a big city, and my twenty or so hours there were only enough to visit the spactacular citadel which dominates the town and a cursory exploration of the old quarter.
It's had two turns at being the capital of the country: once under the Rasulid dynasty in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries and again, briefly, under Imam Ahmed, the lastimam to rule the country, from 1948 until 1962. His rule is commemorated in a museum which I didn't have time to visit. It's good to have something to go back for, but sometimes it gets ridiculous.
The castle which hangs over the city is an enormous piece of military engineering and is currently being restored,... more travel advice
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Ta`izz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qalat-al Qahira over Ta'izz city"
- "The South West Highlands"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ta`izz
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Ta`izz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ta`izz
Photos in Ta`izzSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos