"Tarim" Tarim by TheLongTone
Tarim Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 57 photos
A relic of British rule....
Tarim is the Hadramawt's second city, and is located at the Eastern end of the valley system. In historical terms it is possibly more important than Sayun, and has long been an important center for religious studies. Today there is an important library of Arabic manuscripts attatched to the Friday mosque, and it is said that the city contains a mosque for every day of the year.
The main tourist reason for visiting Tarim is the Al-Muhdhar mosque, whose minaret, at around 53 metres high, is both the tallest minaret in Yemen and a contender for the title of tallest mud structure in the world.
Tarim has been an important center of learning for a long time. The Al Ahqaf library was established in 1972 by... more travel advice
Tarim is best reached from Sayun by collective taxi. These depart from a stand just beyond the small park in the centre... more travel advice
TheLongTone's Related Pages
Tarim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tarim's Palaces of mud"
- "The city of the 365 mosques"
- "Wadi Hadramawt and the Eastern Desert"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarim
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Tarim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarim
Photos in TarimSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos