"Go for the Whale Sharks, Leave with a lot more" Top 5 Page for this destination Donsol by jeryk
Donsol Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 404 photos
Your primary reason for going to Donsol is to see the whale sharks. Well, for a little as P600.00, you'll be able to see this famous creatures. Just remember to go to Donsol between the months of February and May to get a glimpse of them at its peak.
Boat Rentals go for P3500 which can be divided to maximum of 7 people per boat. There's an initial registration of P100 for local tourists and P300 for foreigners. You can also rent Snorkels for P150 and Fins for P150.
Some people are lucky since they see whale sharks at least 30 minutes from leaving the port, some have to wait for 4 hours before a sighting while others go home without any sighting at all. So, I suggest you practice good karma before going. Again, the best seasons for going is between February and May .
Remember also to minimize or avoid eating breakfast prior to going whale watching. The seas tend to be rough and there's a slight chance that you'll get seasick. So come prepared, try get some meds before going to enjoy the full experience.
Also, DON'T touch the whale sharks. Just maximize the experience by taking photos (NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY)or swimming with the whale sharks.
Donsol was once a sleepy town in Sorsogon but now it has transformed into a ecotourism site because of the high concentration of whale sharks in its bay during Philippine summer seasons.
Donsol is an hour plane ride from Manila via Legaspi. From Legaspi, one can ride a van (P60) or jeep to Donsol (from the satellite terminal) for 1-2 hours. For those saving money, you can take a 10-hour bus ride from Manila to Legaspi.
From Cebu, you can also fly to Legaspi. There are also ferry rides from Cebu to Masbate then from Masbate, you can take a ferry to Donsol.
Donsol is relatively less popular to city tourists who still prefer going to Boracay and Puerto Galera. But for environment junkies like me, Donsol is a place that one should never miss. And I never regretted going here. The experience was 5 times better than puerto galera or boracay. :)
While in Donsol, you might want to try other activities like:
- For just P1250 a boat (MAX of 6 people), you can cruise Ugod River where you can see hundreds of fireflies in the trees along the river.
Go to Cagsawa Ruins
- Just take a van/jeep to Legaspi (about an hour from Donsol) then hire a tricycle to bring you to Cagsawa Ruins which is famous for the great view of the Mayon Volcano.
Pig in on seafood
-Seafood prices here is relatively lower than in the city, so go to the Donsol market and get the best catch. Bring it to your hotel and ask the people there to have it cooked.
Talk to the locals and foreign tourist
- Listen to their wonderful stories. No doubt that you'll find an interesting topic to talk about. Also, I highly encourage that you talk to foreign tourists since they'll be more than eager to listen to you and your stories.
Explore the rice fields
Walk along the ricefields especially those in front of your resort. For a city boy like me, I find these sceneries relaxing.
- Pros:Greatest show on earth. High number of whale sharks during feb-may. nice people, serene environment.
- Cons:long road travel time from Manila. occassional rainy seasons. Whale sharks are there for 5 months
- In a nutshell:Go for the whale sharks, leave Donsol with a lot more.
From the town center, tricycles are available to bring you to the tourist office. Tricycle costs P20-P30 . But what I... more travel advice
If you are feeling a little adventurous, you might want to try riding the jeep. It's a new experience for some. Plus, as... more travel advice
jeryk's Related Pages
Donsol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Donsol is Butanding"
- "DONSOL, HOME OF THE WHALESHARK"
- "Go for the Whale Sharks, Leave with a lot more"
- "Donsol:Swimming with the whale sharks"
- "Swimming with Whale Sharks in Donsol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donsol
- Hotels in Donsol
- Transportation in Donsol
- Nightlife in Donsol
- Restaurants in Donsol
- Shopping in Donsol
- Warnings and Dangers in Donsol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Donsol
- 18 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Donsol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donsol
Photos in DonsolSee All Photos (30)
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donsol Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quezon City Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
No friends yet.