"Great Beaches On Oahu" Oahu by kalanialoha

Oahu Travel Guide: 4,109 reviews and 10,146 photos

North Shore

On Oahu, my favorite part of the island is the North Shore. It's like an oasis compared to the fast pace of Honolulu. I usually start off in Kaneohe and take the scenic route until I reach Hale'iwa.

Hale'iwa is a mellow surf town. Check out Hawaiian Island Creations for cool surf wear, Kua Aina for the best burgers, and Matsumoto's for the best shave ice!

My favorite beach during both the Summer and Winter is Waimea Bay. The monster waves break in the bay during the Winter, challenging the best surfers in the world. During the summer, the bay is flat and glassy, perfect for lounging and working on your tan. Sunset Beach and Banzai Pipeline are just down the road.

The leeward side of the island...Ka'ena Beach

When I want to get to away from the crowded beaches in town, I head out west to Ka'ena Point. The ocean is clean and blue, and the beach is never crowded.

Keep driving past Nanakuli, Maili, Waianae, and world famous surf spot Makaha Beach, until you reach Ka'ena. It's well worth the drive! Be sure to pack a cooler with cold drinks, and pick up food along the way, since there's no place to eat or drink nearby.

The sun's pretty intense out there, so be sure to use lots of sunscreen!

The Windward side of the island...Kailua Beach

Kailua is a great beach for families with kids. The surf break is pretty mellow, so kids can play near the water's edge. There are grassy areas for picnics or pickup volleyball games. You can even rent kayaks and paddle out to small islands offshore.

Kailua town is nearby for anything you may need. Be sure to check out Boots and Kimo's for ono local food.

• Pros:some of the most beautiful beaches in the world
  • Cons:a crowded island compared to the others
  • In a nutshell:More than Waikiki, Diamond Head, and Pearl Harbor!
  • Last visit to Oahu: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2007

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Hello Kim, Nice pages. Thank you very much and happy new year to you. Tomas Eriksson :)

• OH_DK's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Nice Oahu page you have. I was visiting relatives in Kailua in 1997 and saw 4 of the beautiful islands! looking forward to the Malmø meet.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 3:10 PM

I put on my First Year 10lbs courtesy of Zippys when I moved to Oahu! ; 0.... I also enjoyed Sam's WAY too much. If I still lived there, I think I'd weigh as much as him! Pleasure seeing your Oahu pages.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 10:15 AM

Hello Kim! Oahu looks beautiful! Have to get there one day. Happy birthday from Finland!

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 9:41 AM

Hello Kim, You are welcome. Great info,Beautiful pic thank you for your tips Donna;o)

kalanialoha Was Born Here!

kalanialoha