"Discovering my new home town bit by bit" Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth by annase

Portsmouth Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 698 photos

I was quite impressed by Portsmouth. It's much nicer than I thought or heard what people said about it. Millions of pounds have been spent in recent years to regenerate the area known as the Gunwharf Quays near the harbour and it looks pretty good. Gunwharf Quays houses over 30 restaurants and bars, 95 designer outlet shopping, a nightclub, casion, a multiplex cinema and super large bowling ally with 26 lanes. I have now been to a few of the restaurants so you can expect a few travel tips soon.

I like the fact that the city has revamped the coastal walk ways (the Millenium Promenade) between the Spinnaker Tower and the Clarence Pier. They have also created the Historic Dockyard as a place worth visiting if you want to see a bit of maritime history, but I also like the fact that there are a few new sky scapers in town which look very sleek and luxurious. And then there is, of course, the impressive Spinnaker Tower which is worth a visit.

I often go jogging on the walk ways along the coast line and I think it's a very refreshing experience - especially if the wind is moderate and the weather is mild. I've grown to like the sea. I'm originally from the inland and have not really spent that much time at the sea, but now I think it's pretty fab.

The other day I found out that there is a brand new beach volley venue with fine sand and three nets near the D-Day Museum and you can use them free of charge. What an excellent way to spend a warm day off than playing beach volley.

I think the British are pretty good in remembering those who fought for the country in the World War I and II. The road that leads to the D-Day museum from the Clarence Pier is full of various kinds of monuments. I really have to go and explore them in more detail one these weekends.

I walked through the Victoria Park the other day and discovered some kind of round gage in the middle of the park where they've got some birds and some kind of droopy eared bunnies ( I think they were French if I remember it right). They were very cute and I've been thinking of going back one day just to see them again. I'm sure that would be fun for kids and seeing them doesn't cost a thing. The park is also accessible from the Guildhall which is another pretty building I want to write a tip about once I get round it. Till then, hopefully I have given you a little bit of insight into Portsmouth. Hopefully you'll decide to visit it whilst you are in the UK. I you do wonder whether you should go to the seaside whilst visiting London, I'd recommend Portsmouth. If you like maritime history and towers, Portsmouth's better.

• Pros:Interesting museums, vibrant city life, the sea
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2010

annase Lives Here!

annase

“Travel light”

Badges & Stats in Portsmouth

Have you been to Portsmouth?