"Alert Bay,Cormorant Island,B.C." Alert Bay by Greggor58
Alert Bay Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 18 photos
Cormorant Island is very small, being only 4 kilometres long and measuring roughly 1 kilometre wide at the narrowest point of the island.
The population nowadays is only about 1300 people....and in fact is the oldest Fishing community on the North of Vancouver Island.
Captain GeorgeVancouver anchored his ship the HMS Discovery here for a time in the late 1700's and the island name Cormorant comes from the name of a paddle "sloop" that plied these waters in the mid eighteen hundreds.
Today it is easily accessed by ferry from Port McNeil,a small community on the northeast of Vancouver Island.
Cormorant Island is the Traditional home of the 'Namgis First Nation'...they have use this land seasonally for thousands of years and have made it the "final resting place" of those of they're people who have "passed on"...
These pictures were taken without disrespecting the significance of this land and were taken from the nearby road.The Namgis Burial Grounds are NOT public property and so please do NOT trespass..
This First Nations cemetery is one of the few remaining locations on the BC coast where totems remain undisturbed on their original site.
There is an AMAZING Cultural Center where one can see hand carved cedar masks representing important figures in Kwakwaka'wakw People's culture.
The Kwakwak'wakw and Nuu-cha-nulth tribes made totem poles as giant human welcome figures. The Coast Salish people in southern BC and western Washington state carved large human figures on poles to represent ancestors and spirit helpers.
Memorial poles were often placed in front of houses in honor of deceased chiefs. There were also mortuary poles made in the nineteenth century which housed at the top, the remains of important individuals.
Greggor58's Related Pages
Alert Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alert Bay"
- "....It IS all about the Totem Poles"
- "Alert Bay,Cormorant Island,B.C."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Alert Bay
- 0 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Alert Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alert Bay
Photos in Alert BaySee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues