"Nitinat Lake / Carmanah Valley / Vancouver Island" Nitinat Lake by Greggor58
Nitinat Lake Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 16 photos
Nitinat Lake is a beautiful tidal saltwater fjord, 23 kilometres in length and 1.2 kilometres wide, located in the West Coast Trail Unit of the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve. Nitinat Lake joins the Pacific Ocean via Nitinat Narrows, a narrow tidal passage three kilometers long.
Vancouver Island is a maze of logging roads that crisscross the back country..maps are a definite MUST...and are available in Victoria or through on-line retailers.
If you're planning a trip to Carmanah or Nitinat Lake...you will need these maps.The route is not well signed.
Nitinat Lake is located on the southwest coast of Vancouver Island, 70 km southwest of Cowichan Lake and 70 km southeast of Port Alberni. The lake lies alongside the Nitinat Main logging road, with 4x4 road access from Port Alberni and Bamfield on the Bamfield road and South Main. Nitinat Lake can also be reached on Nitinat Main and South Main logging roads from the western end of Cowichan Lake (north shore via Youbou), a 150-km drive from Victoria that takes 2 to 3 hours. Caution....these logging roads are quite rough in places....you won't be wanting to use your Volvo or Mercedes to get to Carmanah..
Any 4x4 is definetly your best bet!
Nitinat Lake has become a GREAT destination for windsurfers...and for people that are into fishing...cutthroat,steelhead,coho,chum, and chinook are present at different times of the year.
The lake offers consistent thermal winds during the summer months. It usually blows when it's sunny, and blows hard if there's fog along the coast.
The windsurfers were too far for me to capture with my camera so no windsurfer pics unfortunately.
What an awsome day we had for travel to Carmanah...its not always like this....remember ...the West Coast is sometimes called the Wet Coast for a reason.
This particular trip was taken during a long drought though and the roads instead of being MUCK and slop....were really DUSTY!!
This is a much smaller facility than the one operated by the Federal Department of Fisheries.
- Pros:Amazing scenery along the way...
- Cons:Bring your 4x4 ...its Rock and Roll time!
Ha.....I cant warn you enough about having a 4x4 to use for transport to and from as well as around the area... LOGGING... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Nitinat Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nitinat Lake / Carmanah Valley / Vancouver Island"
- "One of the World's Best for Windsurfing"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nitinat Lake
- Transportation in Nitinat Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Nitinat Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nitinat Lake
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Nitinat Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nitinat Lake
Photos in Nitinat LakeSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues