"Aboard the Uchuk.......Nootka and Kyuquot Sound" Nootka by Greggor58
Nootka Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 6 photos
An Easter weekend jaunt.... via the Uchuk,sailing out of Gold River,through the Muchalat Inlet and into the Nootka Sound... and then North to Kyuquot on the West Coast of Vancouver Island...
The Uchuk is a "working cargo boat"...which brings you into the wilderness of Nootka Sound...famous for its first "European" visitor Captain James Cook of the Royal Navy who in 1778 landed on what is now Friendly Cove on Nootka Island.
We stopped at communities like Thahsis and Zeballos and eventually made our way to Kyuquot...a tiny fishing village that is found south east of the Brooks Penninsula.Along the way you can watch as the Uchuk deliveries necessary supplies to these towns and smaller logging and mining camps.The Uchuk also drops off people and they're kayaks to wherever they might want to start an "adventure" by kayak.Some outdoor tour companies offer tours by kayak of Nootka Sound and the surrounding area.
We overnighted with a woman named Verna and the Uchuk left the next morning to go back to Gold River...Our route,by vehicle, then took us through the heart of Vancouver Island via logging roads and a short ferry ride to Cormorant Island where we explored Alert Bay and photographed some of the Totems that can be seen there.
- Pros:More than a little PEACE and Quiet...Great Adventure!
Greggor58's Related Pages
Nootka Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nootka
- 0 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Nootka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nootka
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues