"Port Renfrew...Botanical Beach...Vancouver Island," Port Renfrew by Greggor58
Port Renfrew Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 21 photos
Port Renfrew is the closest "civilisation" and access to Botanical Beach.
This "town" serves as the Southern terminus for the Infamous West Coast Trail...a rugged 77 km trail that snakes along the Coastal land of Western Vancouver Island.
To get to Botanical Beach you must get yourself to Port Renfrew and the access for the Beach is a road on the left hand side before you get to the Government Wharf.There are signs,follow the road,it will take you to a parking area...its about ten minutes from Port Renfrew.
From Victoria use the Island Highway and follow the signs for Sooke....Jordan River...and then finally Port Renfrew.The drive from Victoria will take you...if you dont stop for anything..about an hour and a half...the road is windy and curvy once you pass through Jordan River.
My experience here is limited to short day trips hiking along the shoreline trails of Botanical Beach.The Pacific Ocean is meeting land here and can be quite rough at times.
The surf is wild and hikers are warned to be wary of ROGUE waves,the trails come close to the waters edge in many places,and human nature is OFTEN curious..."How close to the edge" can I go...people have been known to be swept off the rocks and into the sea...some have drowned.
Botanical Beach was in the early nineteen hundreds a "Marine Station" for the University of Minnesota and students and researchers came to this station to learn and study here.
Today it is a "protected" area and is rich in Marine life and is a very popular day trip out of Victoria.
In 1989 it was given "protected " status and designated a Provincial Park.
There are many tidal pools that are sanctuaries of life...star fish,anemones,small fish,and other life survive here and flourish.Its really quite fun and interesting to see.
If you're really LUCKY....as I have been....you'll even see whales from the shoreline trails...Ive had the good fortune to see both Grey and Orca from the shore.
From Port Renfrew its easy to travel via logging roads to Cowichan Lake and Cowichan Valley.....you can find your way... more travel advice
Of Vancouver Island....please be cautious of bear and cougar ...these animals are indigenous to Vancouver Island and are... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Port Renfrew Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Renfrew...Botanical Beach...Vancouver Island,"
- "Wild West Coast Adventure"
- "West Coast Trail - Beginning"
- "The WILD WEST COAST"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Renfrew
- Hotels in Port Renfrew
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Renfrew
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Renfrew
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Port Renfrew?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Renfrew
- updated a Port Renfrew Travel Page "Port Renfrew...Botanical Beach...Vancouver Island,"
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Weather in Jan first week"
- Wrote a Review As ALWAYS anywhere in the Wilderness.... in Port Renfrew Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Back roading through to Cowichan Valley..."
Photos in Port RenfrewSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues