"Une Petite Tour de La Ville de Quebec...." Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec by Greggor58

Quebec Travel Guide: 1,564 reviews and 3,453 photos

New World Beginnings....Quebec City...

During my little tour of Quebec City I learned some history that is new to me...reaffirmed history that I have learned in my past and made some new acquaintances and friendships.

I learned that Quebec City is more than just a jewel of Canadian history..it is quite a beautiful place...the people that I met that live here were friendly and hospitable,the scenery is gorgeous,the city set on the banks of the mighty St. Lawrence River, the history is rich and interesting.

The struggle to build and shape this community and likewise my country Canada is overwhelming if you can imagine what it would have been like here four hundred years ago...the rugged nature of this little city is symbolic of the land as a whole...

Le Vieux Quebec as many of you have read here on other VT pages is the only walled city in North America.

UNESCO in 1985 declared the historic district of Old Québec a World Heritage Site." Heritage is our legacy from the past, what we live with today, and what we pass on to future generations."

The historic areas of Quebec City have been preserved and in some cases rebuilt to enable us to look at and value our past.

The man who is mostly responsible and given credit for laying the foundation of Quebec City is Samuel de Champlain...who on his second or third voyage to the New World built a small settlement in 1608 on the site of an Indian village called Stadacona.

Le Vieux Quebec....the Old City...

There are two distinct sections of Old Quebec...Old Town’s Haute-Ville (Upper Town) and Lower Town (Basse-Ville)...in order to get between the two sections you need to be prepared to do some walking...and climb some very steep stairs OR you can skirt around the stairs and use some different roads such as Montagne....either choice leaves you with a bit of a work out as the hill itself is large and the climb is not a simple task.I avoided the stairs for the most part..

I spent two and a half days wandering around mostly in Old Quebec...although I did venture outside of the city Gates on a couple of occasions when I ended up on the Plains of Abraham where the Musee des beux Arts is located. Another little jaunt outside the Gates took me to meet with a VT member Jeffie and her husband Sylvain for a wonderful meal and conversation.

I had a reservation at a hostel that I had booked for three nights and decided quickly that I wanted a different accommodation than what I had booked into.

Long story short....I ended up staying three nights in Old Quebec....all three nights spent in three different properties...none of which I would likely be interested in staying in again...for various reasons which you can read about later on in my tips about accommodation in Quebec City.

I enjoyed two days of sunshine and a wonderful relaxing pace discovering the pleasures of Quebec City.

For anyone interested in history and wonderful old architecture Quebec City is a great destination.

I suppose it would be neglectful to tell you nothing about the history that shaped Quebec City.I wont go into too much detail but briefly,after Champlain established a foothold in North America for France as a basis for trade and exploration,the British who were often fighting France in Europe,made inroads to they're own goals and visions of the New World by invading and conquering the French in New France.Quebec fell to the British invaders once and for all in 1759

Although New France came to an end in 1759, about 65,000 settlers stayed on. So did some 5,000 French soldiers. These 70,000 French people were the foundation of today's French-speaking society in Canada

Provincial Capital....

Quebec City is the Capital City of the Province of Quebec...this is the host City of the Government of Quebec...which meets and establishes the Provincial Law of the Province.

In Canada....the Federal Government has jurisdiction over some segments of our society....The Provincial Governments have jurisdictions in other areas.

When the English invaded and established rule over New France in 1759 the British granted the Colony the Rights of continuing to use the French Language,and the legal system that is in fact different from English Common Law..I don't really know enough about it to relate exact details...so I wont...in any event the Quebec Parliament is known as the L'Assemblée nationale du Québec and is seen here as the sun rises on a new day.

The modern City of Quebec is a vibrant community of some 671 thousand people living in a space that has a land area of approximately 88.86 square km.

As Ive already mentioned earlier the city was founded on what was originally a Native American settlement called Stadacona...the site was in fact occupied likely for hundreds of years before the arrival of Europeans.When Champlain arrived here Stadacona was a village of about 500 people.

The modern city was settled by the French,English,the Indigenous peoples, the Scottish,and the Irish....nowadays its population comes from every corner of the World.

• Pros:A vibrant modern and beautiful city...with lots of historical sights to explore.
  • Cons:Exploring the Old City is walking walking and MORE walking!!!
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful experience with so much to see and learn !!
  • Last visit to Quebec: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2011

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Nice tips

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
      May 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I got to spend a few more days here again this past October Jim....and have had NO time to add more...its a pretty city and in spite of its "touristy" feel, Quebec City has so much charm! Well worth a visit if you ever make it up this way!

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I think I will not try the Ghost tour hahaha.

• cal6060's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Quebac is the place that I want to go... heard so much about it...with your tips here even make me want to go there sooner...

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2011 at 3:40 PM

The buildings, fountains, and beautiful memorial are all so charming. The Spooky tours looks very fun. Neat page!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I adore this city and cannot get enough of it! I very much liked the photo of the room in the Gite de Paris, wouldn't mind staying there. For sure I wouldn't want to stay in Manior de Jardin!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 1:37 PM

There are so many great ornate building structures in the city, and the other sites also fine. Your detail explanations and good photos are helpful to understand the culture.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM

excellent tips on an architecturally beautiful city. i liked your very personal tour.

• patagoniapaul's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Very very pretty. I would love to see it!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

This is an excellent page, so much information. I would love to see those buildings, they are so impressive! Love you photo's too!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Impressive, detailed and informative tips! Somehow I assumed the Plains of Abraham were named after that other Abraham, the one in the Bible, but now it turns out to have been Abraham Martin.

Greggor58

“Every road goes SOMEWHERE...”

Badges & Stats in Quebec