"Une Petite Tour de La Ville de Quebec...." Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec by Greggor58
Quebec Travel Guide: 1,531 reviews and 3,292 photos
During my little tour of Quebec City I learned some history that is new to me...reaffirmed history that I have learned in my past and made some new acquaintances and friendships.
I learned that Quebec City is more than just a jewel of Canadian history..it is quite a beautiful place...the people that I met that live here were friendly and hospitable,the scenery is gorgeous,the city set on the banks of the mighty St. Lawrence River, the history is rich and interesting.
The struggle to build and shape this community and likewise my country Canada is overwhelming if you can imagine what it would have been like here four hundred years ago...the rugged nature of this little city is symbolic of the land as a whole...
Le Vieux Quebec as many of you have read here on other VT pages is the only walled city in North America.
UNESCO in 1985 declared the historic district of Old Québec a World Heritage Site." Heritage is our legacy from the past, what we live with today, and what we pass on to future generations."
The historic areas of Quebec City have been preserved and in some cases rebuilt to enable us to look at and value our past.
The man who is mostly responsible and given credit for laying the foundation of Quebec City is Samuel de Champlain...who on his second or third voyage to the New World built a small settlement in 1608 on the site of an Indian village called Stadacona.
There are two distinct sections of Old Quebec...Old Town’s Haute-Ville (Upper Town) and Lower Town (Basse-Ville)...in order to get between the two sections you need to be prepared to do some walking...and climb some very steep stairs OR you can skirt around the stairs and use some different roads such as Montagne....either choice leaves you with a bit of a work out as the hill itself is large and the climb is not a simple task.I avoided the stairs for the most part..
I spent two and a half days wandering around mostly in Old Quebec...although I did venture outside of the city Gates on a couple of occasions when I ended up on the Plains of Abraham where the Musee des beux Arts is located. Another little jaunt outside the Gates took me to meet with a VT member Jeffie and her husband Sylvain for a wonderful meal and conversation.
I had a reservation at a hostel that I had booked for three nights and decided quickly that I wanted a different accommodation than what I had booked into.
Long story short....I ended up staying three nights in Old Quebec....all three nights spent in three different properties...none of which I would likely be interested in staying in again...for various reasons which you can read about later on in my tips about accommodation in Quebec City.
I enjoyed two days of sunshine and a wonderful relaxing pace discovering the pleasures of Quebec City.
For anyone interested in history and wonderful old architecture Quebec City is a great destination.
I suppose it would be neglectful to tell you nothing about the history that shaped Quebec City.I wont go into too much detail but briefly,after Champlain established a foothold in North America for France as a basis for trade and exploration,the British who were often fighting France in Europe,made inroads to they're own goals and visions of the New World by invading and conquering the French in New France.Quebec fell to the British invaders once and for all in 1759
Although New France came to an end in 1759, about 65,000 settlers stayed on. So did some 5,000 French soldiers. These 70,000 French people were the foundation of today's French-speaking society in Canada
Quebec City is the Capital City of the Province of Quebec...this is the host City of the Government of Quebec...which meets and establishes the Provincial Law of the Province.
In Canada....the Federal Government has jurisdiction over some segments of our society....The Provincial Governments have jurisdictions in other areas.
When the English invaded and established rule over New France in 1759 the British granted the Colony the Rights of continuing to use the French Language,and the legal system that is in fact different from English Common Law..I don't really know enough about it to relate exact details...so I wont...in any event the Quebec Parliament is known as the L'Assemblée nationale du Québec and is seen here as the sun rises on a new day.
The modern City of Quebec is a vibrant community of some 671 thousand people living in a space that has a land area of approximately 88.86 square km.
As Ive already mentioned earlier the city was founded on what was originally a Native American settlement called Stadacona...the site was in fact occupied likely for hundreds of years before the arrival of Europeans.When Champlain arrived here Stadacona was a village of about 500 people.
The modern city was settled by the French,English,the Indigenous peoples, the Scottish,and the Irish....nowadays its population comes from every corner of the World.
- Pros:A vibrant modern and beautiful city...with lots of historical sights to explore.
- Cons:Exploring the Old City is walking walking and MORE walking!!!
- In a nutshell:A wonderful experience with so much to see and learn !!
I discovered this building early on my first day visiting the city...I was up and at it early...mostly because I didn't... more travel advice
OK...not what you're thinking....but the Fontaine de Tourny is worth a detour to inspect...simply admire for a few... more travel advice
Written Aug 23, 2009
Le Vieux Quebec....
Written May 20, 2010
Christian Landmarks of Old Quebec...
Greggor58's Related Pages
Quebec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quebec, mon amour!"
- "Quebec City, Quebec, Canada"
- "Quebec City - A Bit of Europe Close at Hand!"
- "Quebec, the charming French town"
- "Une Petite Tour de La Ville de Quebec...."
- "Quebec City, c'est magnifique!"
- "LA BELLE PROVINCE - QUEBEC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quebec
- Hotels in Quebec
- Transportation in Quebec
- Nightlife in Quebec
- Restaurants in Quebec
- Shopping in Quebec
- Warnings and Dangers in Quebec
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Quebec
- 24 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Quebec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quebec
- Posted in Travel Quebec Forum "Re: places of interest"
- Commented on one of Greggor58's Quebec travel pages
- updated a Quebec Travel Page "Une Petite Tour de La Ville de Quebec...."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Christian Landmarks of Old Quebec..."
- Wrote a Review Assemblée nationale du Québec..Seat of Government. in Quebec Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Quebec
Photos in QuebecSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Quebec hotel reviews
- Dominion 1912, Hotel
- 401 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
- 1257 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Delta Quebec
- 317 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hovey Manor
- 197 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Courtyard by Marriott Quebec City
- 463 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Loews Le Concorde
- 410 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Econo Lodge - St. Liboire
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2012
- Chez Hubert, B&B
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 1, 2013
- Hotel Royal William
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Hilton Quebec
- 534 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Chateau Laurier Hotel
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hotel Le Priori
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel de Glace
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy)
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013