"Stepping back..origins of American Emancipation" Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry by Greggor58
Harpers Ferry Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 237 photos
My D.C. Angel was going to be available for the entire day...she is doing her Third Year at a Law School in the D.C. area and her schedule is so HECTIC...she managed to free up for the entire day and we ended up doing really COOL drive out to Harper's Ferry...
Wow I was so surprised....it was such a beautiful little place...so hard to imagine the tumultuous events that have played themselves out here...I had done some BASIC research before I made my trip down to D.C. but it was a surprise that it was such a GEM!!
About eighteen months before the Civil War a man named Jonh Brown[an Abolitionist] lead a group of men in a raid against a Government Armoury with the hopes of securing weapons to distribute amongst slaves and start an armed rebellion AGAINST slavery in America.
The raid was halted with the loss of most of his followers being either captured or killed, John Brown was captured and hanged on December 2, 1859.
This was the first armed conflict that was to become the struggle between brothers,fathers and sons...for the Liberation of all that were enslaved in bondage!
The town has a peculiar role throughout the Civil War and in fact " because of the town's strategic location on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley, Union and Confederate troops moved through Harpers Ferry frequently. The town changed hands eight times between 1861 and 1865."
The town was rebulit after the war and today is a charming little gem well worth taking the time to enjoy!
There is a huge wealth of information available regarding Harper's Ferry and its relation to the Civil War .....the link that I provide below is a great source and gives detailed information about that history!
So we almost stumbled across this gorgeous little town and enjoyed a sunny afternoon walking around the town and taking time to look in the buildings and soak up some early Fall sunshine!
We parked the car....twice actually....the first time was short lived after we asked someone and we were told that they towed a bunch of cars from the same spot the weekend before we were there!
So we found this little restaurant with outdoor tables and sat down to eat!
This street was lined with little shops and boutiques and walking was a good way to burn off some calories!
So we followed our noses and made our way downhill and towards some buildings that were obviously "historic" and many maintained a "museum like " presentation and contained antique furniture and "period" settings..
We ended up venturing into many of the little shops and stopped to look inside some of the buildings.
What we discovered was a gorgeous little town that has so much significance in American History...the town was laced with many buildings that contained museum like displays and monuments in different places throughout the town.
It was a prefect setting for a walk and an opportunity to learn a little about it's history and charm!
- Pros:Beautiful and historial little town....
- Cons:Cant think of anything that would stop me from returning..
- In a nutshell:Picturesque and charming ...
Throughout the town there are a number of buildings set up as museums complete with period accurate furniture and... more travel advice
The terrace is right beside the street ....pros and cons....there was a Budweiser Trailer truck parked right in front of... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Harpers Ferry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Harpers Ferry, West Virginia"
- "HARPERS FERRY GUNS, RACE AND NATURE"
- "Harpers Ferry"
- "Stepping back..origins of American Emancipation"
- "Harpers Ferry, West Virginia"
- "Harper's Ferry, West Virginia"
- "Crossing paths of the C&O path and the AT Trail"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harpers Ferry
- Hotels in Harpers Ferry
- Transportation in Harpers Ferry
- Restaurants in Harpers Ferry
- Shopping in Harpers Ferry
- Warnings and Dangers in Harpers Ferry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harpers Ferry
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Harpers Ferry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harpers Ferry
- updated a Harpers Ferry Travel Page "Stepping back..origins of American Emancipation"
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Weather in Jan first week"
- Commented on one of mtncorg's Harpers Ferry travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Scenes of Harper's Ferry.....Sunny Fall day..."
- Wrote a Review John Brown Museum... in Harpers Ferry Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues