"Stepping back..origins of American Emancipation" Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry by Greggor58

Harpers Ferry Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 237 photos

Nice little town....BEAUTFUL setting......

My D.C. Angel was going to be available for the entire day...she is doing her Third Year at a Law School in the D.C. area and her schedule is so HECTIC...she managed to free up for the entire day and we ended up doing really COOL drive out to Harper's Ferry...

Wow I was so surprised....it was such a beautiful little place...so hard to imagine the tumultuous events that have played themselves out here...I had done some BASIC research before I made my trip down to D.C. but it was a surprise that it was such a GEM!!

About eighteen months before the Civil War a man named Jonh Brown[an Abolitionist] lead a group of men in a raid against a Government Armoury with the hopes of securing weapons to distribute amongst slaves and start an armed rebellion AGAINST slavery in America.

The raid was halted with the loss of most of his followers being either captured or killed, John Brown was captured and hanged on December 2, 1859.

This was the first armed conflict that was to become the struggle between brothers,fathers and sons...for the Liberation of all that were enslaved in bondage!

The town has a peculiar role throughout the Civil War and in fact " because of the town's strategic location on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley, Union and Confederate troops moved through Harpers Ferry frequently. The town changed hands eight times between 1861 and 1865."

The town was rebulit after the war and today is a charming little gem well worth taking the time to enjoy!

There is a huge wealth of information available regarding Harper's Ferry and its relation to the Civil War .....the link that I provide below is a great source and gives detailed information about that history!

So we almost stumbled across this gorgeous little town and enjoyed a sunny afternoon walking around the town and taking time to look in the buildings and soak up some early Fall sunshine!

Washington Street....

We parked the car....twice actually....the first time was short lived after we asked someone and we were told that they towed a bunch of cars from the same spot the weekend before we were there!

So we found this little restaurant with outdoor tables and sat down to eat!

This street was lined with little shops and boutiques and walking was a good way to burn off some calories!

Lets go "Downhill"....Its easier than up..

So we followed our noses and made our way downhill and towards some buildings that were obviously "historic" and many maintained a "museum like " presentation and contained antique furniture and "period" settings..

We ended up venturing into many of the little shops and stopped to look inside some of the buildings.

What we discovered was a gorgeous little town that has so much significance in American History...the town was laced with many buildings that contained museum like displays and monuments in different places throughout the town.
It was a prefect setting for a walk and an opportunity to learn a little about it's history and charm!

• Pros:Beautiful and historial little town....
  • Cons:Cant think of anything that would stop me from returning..
  • In a nutshell:Picturesque and charming ...
  • Last visit to Harpers Ferry: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 10, 2007

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Love places like these! Thanks for sharing such a neat gem Greggor!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I love Harpers Ferry. Have been there many times and always enjoy myself. Enjoyed reading your thoughts on it.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Harpers is full of lots of history that goes beyond old John too ;-] Next time, park on the Maryland side of the Potomac and walk in over the bridge.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2010 at 4:24 AM

Beautiful town, thanks a lot for sharing!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Hi Greggor, Your Harper's Ferry tips brought back memories of my visit. I loved the train tracks coming out of the mountain tunnel near this americana town.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 11:09 PM

This town looks a rather interesting one to visit, sounds like its a bit popular on weekends.

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Looks like a lovely town. Funny story about the trailer blocking the view.

Greggor58

“Every road goes SOMEWHERE...”

Badges & Stats in Harpers Ferry

Have you been to Harpers Ferry?