"Old Roman Settlement...." Avenches by Greggor58
Avenches Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos
Both the amphitheatre and tower are well restored structures.....and the scene of an annual summer opera festival that is quite popular.
We were driving through but stopped for a few minutes to have a quick look around.
Avenches is built on the site of the Roman town Aventicum...2000 years ago, Aventicum was the capital of Roman Helvetia. The Emperor Augustus founded the Roman city of Aventicum on the site of the Helvetian capital.
Around the town are seven other Roman sites – the tourist office has a brochure – all of which are well signposted and free. One of the most impressive is the Tour de la Cigogne, a gnarled old column almost surrounded by suburbia but still standing tall in a field: it once formed part of a giant temple sanctuary.
The Roman museum found in the "tower" houses a precious Gallo-Roman collection, including a valuable copy of the famous gold bust of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius.
- Pros:Beautiful village....
- In a nutshell:http://www.avenches.ch/docs/nat_en.pdf
Greggor58's Related Pages
Avenches Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Avenches
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Avenches?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avenches
Photos in AvenchesSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues