"In the Heart of Rural Canton of Bern..." Laupen by Greggor58
Laupen Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
Laupen is a beautifully preserved town of less than three thousand people situated close to a juncture of the River Saane and the Sense River...
It has a long and important history.. one event in particular helped to shape the present day country of Switzerland...
It was close by to here that on the 21st of June in 1339 the Battle of Laupen was fought between the armies of Bern and its allies on one side, and the Habsburgs together with Burgundian allies on the other.
This success of this military action led to the Bernese peoples and armies joining the Swiss Confederation in 1353...
We stopped here on our way to go for lunch one day and ended up taking a look around at the Scloss Laupen and doing a little bit of walking...mostly around the Castle grounds and a little bit in the town...
It seemed to be a pretty and quiet small village and was surrounded by farm country and lush green fields...
I enjoyed our brief visit and would certainly be interested in going back here to spend more time investigating the town and area more thoroughly.
Laupen is still today known for it's" Achetringele"...."a pagan New Years Eve ritual which comes from a Celtic exorcising of evil spirits and demons on the winter solstice...nowadays its acted out on December 31st every year..it involves all the boys in the village chasing away the old year either as one of the masked Bäsemänner (broom-sweepers) or as a noisy, cowbell-swinging Tringeler (bell-ringer)"..something I didn't witness but my host friend Andy told me briefly about...
- Pros:Quiet,peaceful,really pretty...
Laupen is a really pretty town and warrants more time than I gave to it...I could easily spend a day here or maybe... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Laupen Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Laupen
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Laupen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laupen
Photos in LaupenSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues