"Fesh Air Experience!!" Oberschrot by Greggor58
Oberschrot Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
This was to be home base for the next week that I would be in Switzerland...
Andy and Andrea are friends that I met while vacationing in Cuba a few years ago...they live here now...about forty five minutes from Bern...
This is a great little hideout...I'm absolutely positive that if I didn't want to be found by anyone I knew...I could likely spend the rest of my life here....its a little out of the way...but close enough to Bern....Fribourg...or other more major centers that if a slightly faster pace of life is needed...a short drive would get you there...
Its certainly a farming community...and the property where my friends live is surrounded by dairy farms...and not much else...rolling hills...Bernese Alps seemingly a stone's throw away...and lots of peace and quiet!!
The room that I stayed in was on the side of the house closer to a roadway used to get to and from farms....every morning....early...before daylight...someone was driving milk cans down the road to the collector point in nearby Plafeien... I would hear the milk cans clanging up and down as they drove by my room...Id roll over and go back to sleep...it was just such a peaceful spot!@
The population of this community is a little over 1000 people..linguistically,its comprised of a population 96.0% German, 2.3% French and 0.7% speak English.
As mentioned earlier...the local economy is agrarian based....a surprise to me was that there is a forestry and logging industry also here...not the same as what Ive seen in British Columbia or Washington or Oregon but nevertheless it exists.
The elevation of Andy's house is about 900 meters above Sea Level...I really enjoyed my stay and I wouldn't ever hesitate to return again...
We did a multitude of day trips and didn't really hang around the house much at all...
Day trips included Gruyeres,Jaun and Interlaken and Thun...Bern...Murten...and Laupen..a full day to drive and explore Aosta in the Aosta Valley in Northern Italy.I don't remember a day that we did nothing...
I arrived into Bern via that train from Frankfurt and by the time I arrived at the house in Oberschrot it was LUNCH time!!!Andrea greeted me with hugggs and Schnitzel...etc etc...so I knew I was in for a round of the best hospitality I could know!!
We didn't eat dinners out much at all....and most days we were home in time to prepare a dinner...simple but good..Mister Andy is a salad genius...so a part of every dinner was a salad compliments of Andy...
For the most part I wasn't allowed to really do much in the kitchen......but I would try...the exception to this was about mid week....I had brought with me a slab of AAA Canadian Sirloin beef for my friends to sample..[shhhhhhhh..upon entering Germany...I really had NOTHING to declare] I thought it would be fun to try...and I figured if the meat was confiscated I wasn't going to be in too much trouble...
So I had the great opportunity to hang out with my pals... and touch base with them and they're kids again..and for a week I got to live here.. a stone's throw from the Bernese Mountains....and soak up some scenery like this....and reconnect with some really special friends!!! I totally enjoyed the peace and quiet....
- Pros:Beautiful spot filled with Peace and Serenity...
- Cons:I couldnt stay long enough...and the milk cans being driven down that road at 630 in the morning...
- In a nutshell:Fresh air..GREAT friends and MORE wonderful memories..
Greggor58's Related Pages
Oberschrot Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oberschrot
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Oberschrot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oberschrot
Photos in OberschrotSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues