"On top of The World...." Top 5 Page for this destination Samnaun by Greggor58
Samnaun Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 118 photos
This was the HIGHLIGHT of my experience in Switzerland....My friends Andy and Andrea booked us a room here at a marvelous hotel in the Village for three nights.We stayed at the Hotel Mutler...and enjoyed three days and nights visiting with friends and family and exploring a little,and eating far too much very good food!
Samnaun shares a border with Austria and is a WONDERFUL ski destination and in fact is a tax free zone.
Samnaun consists of four different hamlets (Compatsch, Laret, Ravaisch and Dorf) which can only be reached via road [ or I guess skis ] from Austria. The resort is accessed from the Inn valley road between Landeck and the Reschen Pass
Because I injured my knee before I left Canada there was to be no skiing...but it didnt stop us from using the lifts to get to the top of the ski area and seeing for our own eyes the beauty of this region from the top!
The shared ski region of Samnaun and the Austrian resort of Ischgl – the Silvretta Arena between Arlberg and the Silvretta Group – is the biggest joint ski region in the Eastern Alps.
The cable car pictured above is in fact the World's FIRST double-decker cable car and has a total capacity of 180 persons a load...It was a realy interesting trip up the mountain in this ultra modern piece of techology!
Some interesting FACTS.....the altitude at the base station is 1'778 m....the altitude at the mountain station is 2'500 m...the travel time is only 6 minutes...It took only five months to construct and was opened for the 95/96 ski season...
While you are visiting this page....dont forget to check out the "Travelouge" pages also....for more photos of the scenery and some of my friends that I spent time there with!
As I've mentioned in other pages here at VT....for a time I've lived in British Columbia and I've experienced life amidst snow capped mountains.This was in a sense like going back home for me...I LOVE mountains...and with the combination of great weather and gorgeous scenery like this...I was feeling truly like I was "home' again.
What a treat to be able to see this...it was an incredible experience!
In spite of my not speaking German...I never felt out of place amongst the friends and family of Andrea and Andy.
I might add here that Andrea lived and worked here in Samnaun for a number of years and still has many friends and family that live here.Sabrina joined us most evenings..Andrea's daughter.. and is a fluent English speaker.
I cant say enough good things about my time here.I would highly recommend this as a vacation or ski destination!
We used three different lifts to get to this altitude...and the view was incredible....It was simply a SURREAL experience with snow capped mountains as far as the eye could see in EVERY direction....I only wished that I was able to ski it...I have made a commitment to return to ski and visit again with my old friends and new ones that I made during my visit here.
I got to the top in the chair lift ahead of Andrea and Andy...I walked to get out of the way of the following lift....and apparently I crossed a line in the snow somewhere that meant I had entered Austria....in a heartbeat I was approached by an undercover Austrian Customs person and asked to provide papers...as soon as I produced my passport she kind of went away satisfied that I was legal I guess...it all happened so fast that I'm not even sure what it was all about...she disappeared as quickly as she materialized!
So we hung out at the top for a little while...and took some pictures and then went for refreshment!
I suppose if I was able to ski it would have been so much more exhilarating but just to be here and share this setting with my friends...it was amazing...and like I said...just more reason to return so that I can ski it!
- Pros:EVERYTHING about it was GREAT!!
- In a nutshell:When can I get back there....the gears are grinding... : O ]
The Cable car station is located on the main road between Samnaun Dorf....and Samnaun Compatsch....you really cant miss... more travel advice
For a real TREAT....and something that is a little unique I thought....check out the Theatergruppe Samnaun....a local... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Samnaun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On top of The World...."
- "Skiing and Duty Free Shopping"
- "Saumnaun, the duty free aera of Switzerland"
- "50 Duty Free Shops - and no airport!"
- "My extremely short first stay in Switzerland"
- "Five small villages"
- "duty free resort in Eastern Swiss alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samnaun
- Hotels in Samnaun
- Transportation in Samnaun
- Nightlife in Samnaun
- Restaurants in Samnaun
- Shopping in Samnaun
- Warnings and Dangers in Samnaun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samnaun
- 11 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Samnaun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samnaun
Photos in SamnaunSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues