"On top of The World...." Top 5 Page for this destination Samnaun by Greggor58

Samnaun Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 118 photos

Memories for a Lifetime...

This was the HIGHLIGHT of my experience in Switzerland....My friends Andy and Andrea booked us a room here at a marvelous hotel in the Village for three nights.We stayed at the Hotel Mutler...and enjoyed three days and nights visiting with friends and family and exploring a little,and eating far too much very good food!

Samnaun shares a border with Austria and is a WONDERFUL ski destination and in fact is a tax free zone.

Samnaun consists of four different hamlets (Compatsch, Laret, Ravaisch and Dorf) which can only be reached via road [ or I guess skis ] from Austria. The resort is accessed from the Inn valley road between Landeck and the Reschen Pass

Because I injured my knee before I left Canada there was to be no skiing...but it didnt stop us from using the lifts to get to the top of the ski area and seeing for our own eyes the beauty of this region from the top!

The shared ski region of Samnaun and the Austrian resort of Ischgl – the Silvretta Arena between Arlberg and the Silvretta Group – is the biggest joint ski region in the Eastern Alps.

The cable car pictured above is in fact the World's FIRST double-decker cable car and has a total capacity of 180 persons a load...It was a realy interesting trip up the mountain in this ultra modern piece of techology!
Some interesting FACTS.....the altitude at the base station is 1'778 m....the altitude at the mountain station is 2'500 m...the travel time is only 6 minutes...It took only five months to construct and was opened for the 95/96 ski season...

While you are visiting this page....dont forget to check out the "Travelouge" pages also....for more photos of the scenery and some of my friends that I spent time there with!

Mountains...mountains....and MORE Mountains....

As I've mentioned in other pages here at VT....for a time I've lived in British Columbia and I've experienced life amidst snow capped mountains.This was in a sense like going back home for me...I LOVE mountains...and with the combination of great weather and gorgeous scenery like this...I was feeling truly like I was "home' again.

What a treat to be able to see this...it was an incredible experience!

In spite of my not speaking German...I never felt out of place amongst the friends and family of Andrea and Andy.

I might add here that Andrea lived and worked here in Samnaun for a number of years and still has many friends and family that live here.Sabrina joined us most evenings..Andrea's daughter.. and is a fluent English speaker.

I cant say enough good things about my time here.I would highly recommend this as a vacation or ski destination!

On top of The World...

We used three different lifts to get to this altitude...and the view was incredible....It was simply a SURREAL experience with snow capped mountains as far as the eye could see in EVERY direction....I only wished that I was able to ski it...I have made a commitment to return to ski and visit again with my old friends and new ones that I made during my visit here.

I got to the top in the chair lift ahead of Andrea and Andy...I walked to get out of the way of the following lift....and apparently I crossed a line in the snow somewhere that meant I had entered Austria....in a heartbeat I was approached by an undercover Austrian Customs person and asked to provide papers...as soon as I produced my passport she kind of went away satisfied that I was legal I guess...it all happened so fast that I'm not even sure what it was all about...she disappeared as quickly as she materialized!

So we hung out at the top for a little while...and took some pictures and then went for refreshment!

I suppose if I was able to ski it would have been so much more exhilarating but just to be here and share this setting with my friends...it was amazing...and like I said...just more reason to return so that I can ski it!

• Pros:EVERYTHING about it was GREAT!!
  • In a nutshell:When can I get back there....the gears are grinding... : O ]
  • Last visit to Samnaun: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2008

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I love the hotel, wouldn't mind staying there. What a funny "Austria trip" you had on top of the mountain :D

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM

nice tips that made me think that i should re-read these tips in winters. right now, i am unable to comprehend so much white. great shopping btw.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 2:02 PM

The Hotel Muttler sounds very nice, like the words "pampered!"

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 3:21 AM

You surely did have great vacation: nice company, beautiful landscape, delicious food ... It's a pity I no longer go skiing but I'd love to visit the region one day.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Another appealing page, it never snows in Western Australia. Would love to ski, but most likely break a leg and ruin the rest of our holiday.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2009 at 7:00 AM

So many interesting places to explore in Switzerland. I've put this one on my "To See" list when I return.

• Elena77's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 6:58 AM

Great tips, thanks for sharing! Samnaun seems like a lovely place to visit!

Greggor58

“Every road goes SOMEWHERE...”

Badges & Stats in Samnaun

Have you been to Samnaun?

Latest Activity in Samnaun