"Just FoundThis News Item...." Province of British Columbia by Greggor58
Province of British Columbia Travel Guide: 8,694 reviews and 19,717 photos
VANCOUVER, Canada (AFP) - The Salish Sea may never appear on official navigation maps, but residents of western regions in the United States and Canada hope a new name will protect their shared coastal waters.
A Washington State agency approved the new name Friday for the body of water off North America's west coast that includes Puget Sound, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and Georgia Strait.
The name is partly in honour of the aboriginal Salish people of the Pacific Northwest, said Bob Redling, spokesman for Washington's State Board on Geographic Names.
"The broader reason is to change the way we think of these waters ... what happens in Puget Sound also happens in Georgia Strait," Redling told AFP in a phone interview from Olympia.
The Salish Sea would stretch from northern Vancouver Island in Canada to Puget Sound in the United States and include countless inlets and coves fed by glaciers on the jagged and mountainous coastline.
It would lap the edges of urban areas including Seattle, Tacoma and the western Canadian metropolis of Vancouver.
"It's not as pristine as it used to be, but it's an incredible habitat for several endangered animals including salmon, killer whales, bald eagles and several shellfish," said Redling.
"They need to be cleaned up, protected, and thought of in the same way, as as an ecological unit."
The Washinton board voted Friday five to one for the symbolic name, which was previously approved in August by the British Columbia Geographical Names Office.
The Salish Sea will officially come into existence if the name is formally approved, as expected, by federal agencies.
The United States Board on Geographic Names is expected to decide on the issue in late November, while the Geographical Names Board of Canada has approved a resolution to adopt the name contingent on US approval, said a statement by Washington State.
The idea for the name, put forward by American marine biology professor Bert Webber, has been promoted for years by environmentalists and scientists but only recently became generally popular.
"It's more an idea rather than a practical thing," said Redling, noting the other names will remain on official maps. "I don't think anyone is going to get lost trying to find the Salish Sea on a map."
Greggor58's Related Pages
Province of British Columbia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OUR TOUR OF BRITISH COLUMBIA BY HIRE CAR"
- "BRITISH COLUMBIA*****WOW"
- "Beautiful British Columbia!"
- "Due West"
- "CANADIAN BEAUTY"
- "British Columbia"
- "From the ocean to the mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of British Columbia
- Hotels in Province of British Columbia
- Transportation in Province of British Columbia
- Nightlife in Province of British Columbia
- Restaurants in Province of British Columbia
- Shopping in Province of British Columbia
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of British Columbia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Subic Hotels
- Cagayan de Oro City Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Baclaran Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Ottawa Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- Portland Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Winnipeg Hotels
- Apostle Islands Hotels
- Addis Ababa Hotels
- Kuching Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
- Abu Dhabi Hotels
Badges & Stats in Province of British Columbia
- 45 Reviews
- 162 Photos
- 76 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Province of British Columbia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of British Columbia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (47)
Top Province of British Columbia hotels
- Vancouver Hotels
- 3957 Reviews - 8266 Photos
- Victoria Hotels
- 1618 Reviews - 3346 Photos
- Whistler Hotels
- 283 Reviews - 632 Photos
- Kelowna Hotels
- 88 Reviews - 194 Photos
- Tofino Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 381 Photos
- Kalamalka Lake Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Penticton Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Prince George Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Osoyoos Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Vancouver Island Hotels
- 228 Reviews - 687 Photos
- Revelstoke Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Fairmont Hot Springs Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 35 Photos
- Port Coquitlam Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Cranbrook Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Ucluelet Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 42 Photos