"A Few Hours in Innsbruck" Innsbruck by Greggor58

Innsbruck Travel Guide: 1,139 reviews and 2,564 photos

A Walkabout....

I have to admit....that before I ended up in Innsbruck,I really didnt know much at all about this city,other than that it was the Host city of the Winter Olympics at sme time.In fact,before I even got to Europe this trip,I didnt even know that I would be spending any time here.

What I discovered was a city rich in history and set against a beautiful setting of snow capped mountains.

My time in Innsbruck wasn't long...more a shopping trip for Andrea and her mother....Andy and I dropped off the women at a shopping mall and he and I headed for the historic and old part of the city.

We enjoyed another blue sky sunny day although it was just a tad on the chilly side...but being a February day it was quite expected to be cool.

Innsbruck is the Capital City of the State of Tyrol....in Western Austria and has played host of the Winter Olympics twice...in 1964 and 1976.

The population is about 120,000 and the currency used...as in the rest of Austria is the Euro.

Although there is evidence to suggest that the Innsbruck area has been inhabited for eons before...in the 4th Century the Romans established a camp here to protect a trade route that crossed the Brenner Pass and into Northern Italy.This was to be the most important North-South route in middle-age Europe.

Die Innere Stadt (The Inner City)

We spent a few hours walking around the Inner City,or Old Town and in hindsight...an organized tour would have been a great idea...we really didn't budget much time here so we didn't even discuss the idea.

We stopped for lunch and eat at a restaurant fairly close to The Golden Roof, an ornately designed building built by Archduke Friedrich IV in the early 15th Century.

Eventually we came to an open area on the banks of the Inn River,the North side lined with brightly colored buildings.

Our visit to Innsbruck was nothing more than a sightseeing walkabout and we spent some time in and out of some shops that were of interest.

Old Architecture...

Our little stroll took us into a few shops and a cafe where we had a coffee and along some narrow old streets and by many buildings that were old and designed with more than a touch of interesting characteristics.

We even ended up in a store " Zillertaler Trachten Welt " that specialized in men's and women's clothing that is particular to Tyrol.
Someone had asked me before I left Canada to look for and possibly purchase lederhosen so finding this shop was more than a little interesting.

My favorite thing that I experienced in my short time here was for sure the design of the old buildings and the variety of color that is used to decorate them.

This particular building,as you can see, has carvings of jousting knights as a part of the facade...indicative of the history of the city and the region.

• Pros:Wonderful old architecture and really interesting desing.
  • Last visit to Innsbruck: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2008

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM

The Alps are my favorite destinations of all. I have not been to Innsbruck though. Thanks for photo trip.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Hi Greggor, I always enjoy pages on European Alpine towns, something totally different to where I live. You must have had a fabulous time, thanks for sharing.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2009 at 4:41 AM

You certainly saw a lot in a short time.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Hello, Greggor ! I would like to visit too...

Greggor58

“Every road goes SOMEWHERE...”

Badges & Stats in Innsbruck

Have you been to Innsbruck?

Latest Activity in Innsbruck