"A Few Hours in Innsbruck" Innsbruck by Greggor58
Innsbruck Travel Guide: 1,139 reviews and 2,560 photos
I have to admit....that before I ended up in Innsbruck,I really didnt know much at all about this city,other than that it was the Host city of the Winter Olympics at sme time.In fact,before I even got to Europe this trip,I didnt even know that I would be spending any time here.
What I discovered was a city rich in history and set against a beautiful setting of snow capped mountains.
My time in Innsbruck wasn't long...more a shopping trip for Andrea and her mother....Andy and I dropped off the women at a shopping mall and he and I headed for the historic and old part of the city.
We enjoyed another blue sky sunny day although it was just a tad on the chilly side...but being a February day it was quite expected to be cool.
Innsbruck is the Capital City of the State of Tyrol....in Western Austria and has played host of the Winter Olympics twice...in 1964 and 1976.
The population is about 120,000 and the currency used...as in the rest of Austria is the Euro.
Although there is evidence to suggest that the Innsbruck area has been inhabited for eons before...in the 4th Century the Romans established a camp here to protect a trade route that crossed the Brenner Pass and into Northern Italy.This was to be the most important North-South route in middle-age Europe.
We spent a few hours walking around the Inner City,or Old Town and in hindsight...an organized tour would have been a great idea...we really didn't budget much time here so we didn't even discuss the idea.
We stopped for lunch and eat at a restaurant fairly close to The Golden Roof, an ornately designed building built by Archduke Friedrich IV in the early 15th Century.
Eventually we came to an open area on the banks of the Inn River,the North side lined with brightly colored buildings.
Our visit to Innsbruck was nothing more than a sightseeing walkabout and we spent some time in and out of some shops that were of interest.
Our little stroll took us into a few shops and a cafe where we had a coffee and along some narrow old streets and by many buildings that were old and designed with more than a touch of interesting characteristics.
We even ended up in a store " Zillertaler Trachten Welt " that specialized in men's and women's clothing that is particular to Tyrol.
Someone had asked me before I left Canada to look for and possibly purchase lederhosen so finding this shop was more than a little interesting.
My favorite thing that I experienced in my short time here was for sure the design of the old buildings and the variety of color that is used to decorate them.
This particular building,as you can see, has carvings of jousting knights as a part of the facade...indicative of the history of the city and the region.
- Pros:Wonderful old architecture and really interesting desing.
OK...we all likely know that Innsbruck is a gateway for some amazing ski experiences...and has been the center of Winter... more travel advice
During our little walk about in the Old City [Aldstadt]...we came across this Cathedral...St. Jacob's....we didn't... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Innsbruck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Innsbruck is a lot more than just a golden roof"
- "The Beautiful town of Innsbruck"
- "Innsbruck - the capital city of Tirol"
- "Innsbruck +++ Lovely town and great skijumping :)"
- "INNSBRUCK A NICE CITY AT ALPS!"
- "Innsbruck a wonderful place in the middle of Tirol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Innsbruck
- Hotels in Innsbruck
- Transportation in Innsbruck
- Nightlife in Innsbruck
- Restaurants in Innsbruck
- Shopping in Innsbruck
- Warnings and Dangers in Innsbruck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Innsbruck
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Innsbruck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Innsbruck
Photos in InnsbruckSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues