"Sluderno....A Six Course Lunch and a Stroll ...." Sluderno by Greggor58
Sluderno Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 38 photos
The day was sunshine and blue sky once again as we departed from Samnaun...our destination...ultimately...in a round about way was to be Plafeien...back to Switzerland and two days rest and then onwards for me to Berlin.
Being so close to a sister of Andrea,it was necessary to detour to have lunch before we got serious about "the drive"...which when it was said and done...took us about six hours on a full stomach.. : O [
We left Saumnaun around 930 am and arrived in Sluderno...or as its called in German....Schluderns...
From Sluderno to Plafeien it took us another six hours or so...driving on a full stomach.. : O [
This picturesque small town is in Southern Tirol..or Tyrol...Southern Tyrol is located in Northern Italy and borders Switzerland and Austria.
The history is long and is complex.At the end of the First World War this part of Tyrol was handed over to Italy...in fact before the war it was territory that was a part of Austria.
The first language most commonly spoken is German...and Italian is the second language.In a census taken in 1910 in the geographc area called Südtirol/Alto Adige...88 % of the population was German speaking.Today I dont know the exact breakdown of German/Italian first languages...but suffice it to say that in the household that I was visiting...the Mother's first language was German....and the father's first language is Italian...So...
Anyways....we stopped and a seemingly never ending lunch began..the hospitality of our hosts was similar to our lunch...endless..I was made to feel like more than just a friend...and when it was all said and done...I was almost in pain from eating so much.
I was sitting on the patio outside of the kitchen and I decided that I should go for a walk around town to burn off some callories...instead of falling asleep in the sun...
What I found was a beautiful old town with interesting old buildings and narrow streets with an abundance of really cool and ANCIENT looking doorways..all stupendously "placed" with a snow capped backdrop of beautiful mountains,what an incredible experience even just to see such a place!
This small town also boasts its own Castle...the Churburg Castle....built in 1253 by the bishops of Chur.The region is loaded with apple orchards..As I walked outside my host's kitchen onto theyre patio...I looked to the left and saw this castle on the hill overlooking the village!
I was watching the clock so to speak because I didnt want to make us late for leaving for Plafeien but I managed to have a look around the town,someting that Im happy that I did!
I thought I would share some of my photos in spite of not having spent any length of time in Sluderno....
Because I was basically just passing the time strolling through town I didnt stop for coffee or eat a meal here...[except for the seven course lunch served by my hosts ]...I cant comment or provide any information about eateries or accommodations.
In spite of this I found the architecture and the feeling of "OLD" to be quite interesting and it was a beautiful day to absorb some of the ambiance of this town.
There was a photo waiting to happen...the light was strong and the textures in the building materials...the wood..the stucco...the stone...it was amazing...
This would be a part of Italy that I would certainly want to spend more time in if I were to ever have the chance again,especially if the food and hospitality is similar to what my new friends provided us with!
We drove by this landmark on the way through to Sluderno....I had seen pictures of this bell tower in fact here at VT... more travel advice
The largest private armoury in the Alps can be found at Chur Castle at Sluderno. "One of the most imposing and best... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Sluderno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sluderno....A Six Course Lunch and a Stroll ...."
- "Schluderns - Home of the Churburg/ Castel Coira"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sluderno
- 4 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Sluderno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sluderno
- updated a Sluderno Travel Page "Sluderno....A Six Course Lunch and a Stroll ...."
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Weather in Jan first week"
- Commented on one of Greggor58's Sluderno travelogues
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ancient Doorways to......Somewhere... : O ]"
- Wrote a Review The Church Tower of Lago di Resia... in Sluderno Off The Beaten Path
Photos in SludernoSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues