"Hanging in Tobago..." Top 5 Page for this destination Tobago by Greggor58

Tobago Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 152 photos

Tobago is a small island located in the southern region of the Caribbean Ocean and is one of the islands that comprise the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. On a map you can find Tobago just off the North East coast of South America, only a short distance from Venezuela. It’s thought that eons ago Tobago and Trinidad were a part of the South American continent and as such the flora and fauna found here are more similar to that of South America than of any other Caribbean islands. It really is a unique and beautiful place to explore.

Tobago has been for me a place where I can come and relax and enjoy some GREAT downtime, some wonderful beaches, and as much outdoor entertainment as I like. My experience is that that when I travel here I have always made some new friends, people that are visiting here and those that live here. With the exception of one experience here in Tobago in three separate visits, most of my interactions have been quite good and I have not ever hesitated to return.

There are some issues I think with the hotel industry here in Tobago that would require a second thought about visiting again and I’ll share them with you here. I think though that if you’re able to look around what I considered the downsides and focus on the positives than perhaps Tobago would be for you a wonderful destination for you to relax and enjoy the beauty of what it has to offer.

If you’re a beach lover you can choose to hang out on many beautiful wind swept and little used ocean fronts on either the Caribbean side or the Atlantic side of the island. The whole coastline of the island is essentially ringed with a variety of beaches that are yours for discovering.
The island is quite lush and green during the spring months that I have visited and is the site of the first protected watershed in the whole Western Hemisphere If you do visit here during springtime you’ll find plenty of color splashed about in people’s gardens and along roadways in places along its shorelines. The typical tropical blooms that you will see include Bougainvillea, Hibiscus, and even the “Bird of Paradise” or Strelitzia. A variety of palms, cocoa, breadfruit, calabash and an assortment of other tropical trees offer up shade from the strong equatorial sun.

I am certainly not an authority but I know that Tobago is a “bird lovers” Utopia , the reported number of species that can be seen here is in the range of two hundred plus, some that are quite exotic and some quite rare. Even as you walk the beaches you’ll see a variety of interesting shorebirds. It’s always a treat to see a Mot Mot with its long trailing tail; numerous species of hummingbirds flourish here and can be seen in different places around the island either gathering at feeders or flitting about the lush foliage. In the North end of Tobago I’ve seen in past visits, parrots, which were easily available to view. I didn’t see them but I certainly heard the loud and memorable call of the Cocrico , one of the National Birds of Trinidad and Tobago, one of the birds seen on the Coat of Arms of Trinidad and Tobago.

The endangered Leatherback Turtle nests here on the beaches of Tobago and more often than not if you visit the island between the months of March and May the chances that you will see one or more of these ancient creatures are pretty good. On all three visits that I’ve made to Tobago, I’ve had the good fortune to have witnessed this event .You can read more about this later on if you would like to read more about my Tobago experiences.

Tobago has had a somewhat turbulent colonial history and has seen European visitors since Columbus supposedly set eyes on it during his second last voyage to the New World in 1498. Originally occupied by the Caribs that lived on many of the islands throughout the Caribbean, the island eventually saw its “ownership” change repeatedly between the French, the British, the Spanish and the Dutch as well. In total, Tobago has seen its sovereignty swapped around an astounding 30 some odd times through one Treaty or another.
The rich soils of Tobago were the backbone of its economic development and as was the case in many Caribbean islands sugar became the major export product that helped drive the growth in the economy and population.

Over the period of three separate visits I’ve spent time exploring a little of what Tobago has to offer, experienced some incredible generosities, and made life long friendships.

My latest visit to Tobago was MOSTLY a good experience and I got to enjoy some great food, I walked and cycled the roads and beaches between Bucco and Plymouth. I’ve rented cars during past visits and explored the North end of the island but this particular visit was all about recharging and enjoying some much needed peace and quiet.; I’ve had the opportunity to see the impressive Leatherback Turtle laying eggs, and witnessed some amazing sunsets and hung out on some truly beautiful beaches.
I had the opportunity to visit the SPCA in Scarborough just by chance and as well I was invited to and attended a music recital by a group of enthusiastic youths in the town of Black Rock.
I ventured into Scarborough a few times to see the Friday market, the Botanical Gardens, and the grounds and museum that you’ll see at Fort King George.

There’s no shortage of unique opportunities in Tobago for you to experience a diverse cultural heritage and a rich natural playground. If you are interested in spending time surrounded by natural beauty and some great beaches and ocean than perhaps Tobago would be a great destination for you to enjoy some time exploring.

• Last visit to Tobago: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2011

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I would love to see the leatherbacks - amazing creatures! And I'm a sucker for a beautiful sunset. We saw some great ones in Jamaica but it's possible that these just beat them ;-) But I'll know where NOT to stay if I visit - thanks!!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM

What a wonderful place to get away and relax! The sunset photo is lovely. I enjoyed your tips! Nice page!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I love your Tobago photos (the one of a humming bird is simply beautiful), videos (goat race looks like fun) and tips full of interesting information.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Leatherback turtles, goat racing, friendly people and amazing food... sounds like you had a great time in Tobago, thanks for sharing!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Good tips as usual, Greg. Seems like a place for me to visit. But will definitely stay away from the hotel with the mutant manager.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Some nice photos gere Greg. Looks like you had a good time except for the one bad accommodation. Thanks for visiting my Shanghai page.

Greggor58

“Every road goes SOMEWHERE...”

Badges & Stats in Tobago