"ITS HOTTTTTTTTTTTT in the CITY!!!" Trinidad by Greggor58
Trinidad Travel Guide: 280 reviews and 915 photos
Trinidad was founded in December of 1514 by Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar and originally was called Villa De la Santísima Trinidad, Spain's third settlement in Cuba.
The Taino,who were the indigenous peoples that lived here... sadly were virtually exterminated by 1550.
Trinidad is likely the second most important city in the Province of Sancti Spíritus and is located on the southern coast of the province...in between the Escambray Mountains and the Caribbean Ocean...The winds from the Caribbean are warm and certainly adds to the hot and sticky atmosphere I experienced walking about in the old part of the city...I found it to be excruciatingly hot and at times during my visit here I thought I was melting... : O ]...While I was walking about I was constantly trying to stay in the shade..something that proved to be difficult most of the time...
In 1988 Trinidad received status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.."the city was a bridgehead for the conquest of the American continent" . From here though the Spanish set they're eyes on the riches of what was to become Mexico...the land of the Aztecs..
From streets laid out around a grand plaza, Hernan Cortes organized men and supplies for his conquest of Mexico.
The city center is a few square blocks of preserved Colonial architecture...wonderfully colored and a treat to see...There was no shortage of colorful characters seen going about they're business here...certainly fit the "scene" ..and I experienced here for the first time while visiting anywhere in Cuba a presence of "hawkers" and street merchants...some a little more aggressive than others...trying to sell "cheaper" cigars than I would find in the stores...This was not a problem at all and simply presented an opportunity to chat with some of them a little...
And as such this little glimpse into the World of Trinidad has made it necessary for me to return again to spend some serious time exploring this wonderful city...
I accompanied an "organized" tour that lasted only a few hours of actual time in the city....I could easily spend a day or two wandering around...it has such a charm to it...the historic center of the city is NOT a large area to explore...but there are a couple of museums and a few taverns to visit and soak up some hospitality and the ambiance of the Cuban people...
Around every corner a photo op awaits....the people....the architecture...the mint cars of the American Fifties are everywhere!!
I did manage to see some of the historic and preserved part of the city and I ventured into one of the museums and a tavern and a few galleries.
It was apparent and obvious that this little city will be another destination sometime down the road...
- Pros:Beautiful preserved Colonial archetecture...GREAT and interesting people!
- Cons:Might have been a little too hot for me...
This is an open air sort of space where you'll actually see artisans working on ceramics in different stages of... more travel advice
This Government restaurant is a little outside of town about five kilometers off the paved road along a narrow dirt... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Trinidad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trinidad - witness of slave trading"
- "Trinidad - an image of the past"
- "La ciudad de la siesta"
- "Having a great time in Trinidad"
- "ITS HOTTTTTTTTTTTT in the CITY!!!"
- "Trinidad de Cuba, Sancti Spiritus, Cuba."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trinidad
- Hotels in Trinidad
- Transportation in Trinidad
- Nightlife in Trinidad
- Restaurants in Trinidad
- Shopping in Trinidad
- Warnings and Dangers in Trinidad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trinidad
- 6 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Trinidad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trinidad
- updated a Trinidad Travel Page "ITS HOTTTTTTTTTTTT in the CITY!!!"
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Weather in Jan first week"
- Commented on one of Greggor58's Trinidad travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Some WONDERFUL Faces of Trinidad...."
- Wrote a Review Pottery..Watch the Artists at work..or shop...? in Trinidad Shopping
- Uploaded a Video to Trinidad
Photos in TrinidadSee All Photos (35)
Videos in TrinidadSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues