"Greggor LOVES Bangkok…" Bangkok by Greggor58

Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,366 reviews and 23,038 photos

Just a Six Day Tease..

I developed an interest in exploring Bangkok after hearing stories and seeing pictures from a cousin that has been traveling and exploring Bangkok and Thailand for a number of years.

He had tried in vain to get me to accompany him for more than a couple of years and finally circumstances allowed me to get to this part the World with him for the first time in January 2010. Had I said yes to his invitations in years past I probably would have been with him on a beach on Hong Island when the tsunami hit in December 2004.

He flew in from Vancouver and I arrived from Ottawa to meet him a few days after his arrival.

We used Bangkok as an arrival and departure point for a six week “tour” that was in fact spent mostly in Vietnam but BANGKOK was, and is in my opinion, a tremendously interesting and fun place to explore and get to know a little. I can’t wait to return again to get to explore more of this large and exciting city.

What I enjoyed the most about Bangkok were the multitude of TEMPLES and the constant buzz around the city. I found a little guesthouse on the internet that had good reviews and we arranged inexpensive accommodation for the first two nights of my stay in SE Asia with them. The plan was to depart from SE Asia through Bangkok six weeks later. Before I had departed from Bangkok for the continuation of my “tour” I booked four more nights with the same Guesthouse for the “wrap up”...the last days of this little tour in SE Asia.

The River...Chao Praya..

The guest house I chose to stay in was about a fifteen minute walk to the Chao Praya River...and it became my transit route of choice...whenever I was able to I used water transport and then tuk tuks,taxis, and good old fashioned "footpower" to get to the sites that I visited.

I was thrilled to see how vital and busy the river was.The Chao Praya River is a vibrant and well used "working" waterway,barges loaded with freight as well as various forms of water transport for people made it clear that it still functions as an important focal point of life in Bangkok.Transport along the river was inexpensive and efficient...no traffic jams to be seen here and moving along the river provided a welcome relief from the heat of the city.

On Tour...

My time visiting Bangkok was filled with many exotic sights ,smells, and tastes,all new for me to experience.

I spent a couple of days walking about...visiting Temples, snacking on delicious and inexpensive foods,taking photographs and making some new friends.

I joined the hoards of tourists visiting the Grand Palace and the Wat Phra Kaew...I enjoyed the fine craftsmanship and beauty of the river side temple Wat Arun and the giant Reclining Buddha seen at Wat Pho, climbed the steps of the Temple of the Golden Mount(Wat Saket) and visited the Museum of Royal Barges.

I eat amazing Cashew Chicken every day at an obscure little outdoor restaurant attached to a guesthouse not far from Kho San Road.It was THAT GOOD that I made the trek every day to sit and enjoy this little taste adventure.I walked and used tuk tuks to get to Chatuchak Market and other places that I found to be simply an amazing experience to see.

Take a look around Bangkok with me and hopefully you'll enjoy your visit as much as I did...

When can I get back here for another taste of "Life in Bangkok"??? I'm not sure but I like the idea of a return visit someday!!!

• Pros:A really good energy here I think...
  • Cons:Traffic congestion...
  • Last visit to Bangkok: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 21, 2011

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Wat Pho, Grand Palace, and The Royal Barges Museum looks all fanscinating and beautiful. Looks like you enjoyed yourself too! Excellent page!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Thanks for the virtual tour of Bangkok, Greg, I thoroughly enjoyed it, makes me want to go there for a visit. You sure write good tips and put a lot of effort into them :)

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Hi Greggor, nicely thought out and well written tips here, inc. some nice pics. I did get "templed out" after 9 weeks in Thailand and certainly was in no state to visit as many as you've done.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Hi Greggor; I've visited Bangkok in very similar circumstances - it was the starting and final point of my trip to SE Asia. Just like you, I fell for it and especially for Wat Arun. Your page is great so I hope it will soon be ranked high.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Dee loves Bangkok too! Excellent page! My Hotel was quite close to Phra Sumen Fort, so I walked past there many times. I would love to go back and see more, there is so much!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2011 at 8:00 AM

This page almost reads like a travel book, I love how personalized all your tips are! Great job, I'd definitely use your tips to plan a trip to Bangkok :o) Oh, and that cashew chicken looks sooo good!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM

The canal boat rides are fun, did you have the whole boat to yourself?. Will be visiting Bangkok again Nov'11. Such a great place for holiday!

Greggor58

“Every road goes SOMEWHERE...”

Badges & Stats in Bangkok

Have you been to Bangkok?

Latest Activity in Bangkok