"Greggor LOVES Bangkok…" Bangkok by Greggor58
Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,714 reviews and 24,270 photos
I developed an interest in exploring Bangkok after hearing stories and seeing pictures from a cousin that has been traveling and exploring Bangkok and Thailand for a number of years.
He had tried in vain to get me to accompany him for more than a couple of years and finally circumstances allowed me to get to this part the World with him for the first time in January 2010. Had I said yes to his invitations in years past I probably would have been with him on a beach on Hong Island when the tsunami hit in December 2004.
He flew in from Vancouver and I arrived from Ottawa to meet him a few days after his arrival.
We used Bangkok as an arrival and departure point for a six week “tour” that was in fact spent mostly in Vietnam but BANGKOK was, and is in my opinion, a tremendously interesting and fun place to explore and get to know a little. I can’t wait to return again to get to explore more of this large and exciting city.
What I enjoyed the most about Bangkok were the multitude of TEMPLES and the constant buzz around the city. I found a little guesthouse on the internet that had good reviews and we arranged inexpensive accommodation for the first two nights of my stay in SE Asia with them. The plan was to depart from SE Asia through Bangkok six weeks later. Before I had departed from Bangkok for the continuation of my “tour” I booked four more nights with the same Guesthouse for the “wrap up”...the last days of this little tour in SE Asia.
The guest house I chose to stay in was about a fifteen minute walk to the Chao Praya River...and it became my transit route of choice...whenever I was able to I used water transport and then tuk tuks,taxis, and good old fashioned "footpower" to get to the sites that I visited.
I was thrilled to see how vital and busy the river was.The Chao Praya River is a vibrant and well used "working" waterway,barges loaded with freight as well as various forms of water transport for people made it clear that it still functions as an important focal point of life in Bangkok.Transport along the river was inexpensive and efficient...no traffic jams to be seen here and moving along the river provided a welcome relief from the heat of the city.
My time visiting Bangkok was filled with many exotic sights ,smells, and tastes,all new for me to experience.
I spent a couple of days walking about...visiting Temples, snacking on delicious and inexpensive foods,taking photographs and making some new friends.
I joined the hoards of tourists visiting the Grand Palace and the Wat Phra Kaew...I enjoyed the fine craftsmanship and beauty of the river side temple Wat Arun and the giant Reclining Buddha seen at Wat Pho, climbed the steps of the Temple of the Golden Mount(Wat Saket) and visited the Museum of Royal Barges.
I eat amazing Cashew Chicken every day at an obscure little outdoor restaurant attached to a guesthouse not far from Kho San Road.It was THAT GOOD that I made the trek every day to sit and enjoy this little taste adventure.I walked and used tuk tuks to get to Chatuchak Market and other places that I found to be simply an amazing experience to see.
Take a look around Bangkok with me and hopefully you'll enjoy your visit as much as I did...
When can I get back here for another taste of "Life in Bangkok"??? I'm not sure but I like the idea of a return visit someday!!!
- Pros:A really good energy here I think...
- Cons:Traffic congestion...
This small and quiet museum is a little look into the life and times of King Rama VII and was not busy during the brief... more travel advice
This was the first Wat that I was to visit in Bangkok…known otherwise as the “Marble Temple”, my travel buddy and I... more travel advice
- See All Santichai Prakarn Park and Phra Sumen...
- See All Coffee with a VIEW...
- See All Tuk Tuks…Art in Motion
Greggor58's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 21 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
- updated a Bangkok Travel Page "Greggor LOVES Bangkok…"
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Weather in Jan first week"
- Commented on one of pfsmalo's Bangkok travel pages
- Wrote a Review King Prajadhipok Museum… King Rama VII Museum about King Prajadhipok Museum in Bangkok Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "My FIRST time...Wat Benchamabophit"
- Uploaded a Video to Bangkok
Photos in BangkokSee All Photos (105)
Videos in BangkokSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues