"A Few Days in Berlin....WOW !!" Berlin by Greggor58
Berlin Travel Guide: 6,973 reviews and 15,798 photos
I arrived in Berlin on my 9th day of this little whirlwind trip to Europe...and by the time I got here I was fighting a bug that I had picked up along the way...unfortunate as it was I tried to make the best of it but I truly had to force myself to get out there and see some of the city.
My intention was to explore the city for a few days and make contact if it was possible with some friends that live in the area of Berlin..
I was once again so impressed with the historical significance of where I was and the events both good and bad that had shaped this city and the culture of the people of Berlin.
Once upon a time ...I have some links to Germany....in the Seventeen Hundreds a man from Bavaria came to America and eventually found his way to what was then Lower Canada after the American Revolution.This man was a Great Great Great and so on Grandfather on my Mother's side of the family...and his Family name was Carkner....
More recently I had an Uncle that flew over Germany and survived during the Second World War....a bizarre kind of twist that I suppose is more common than we might think.
In any event I was to spend three and a half days here and then return to Canada.
The opposite side of this sign or poster is a picture of an American Serviceman...just to provide some obvious balance here.
I think this city is chocked full of contrasts...old versus new.....luxurious as opposed to simple....historical significance that is wonderful and even GREAT...Humboldt University...for example...and history that is so dark and evil...the Nazi era...and everything that went along with this...
I thought it was pretty amazing that I was walking these streets and seeing things that people like Karl Marx....Albert Einstein...Otto Von Bismarck and a whole host of other historical personalities did!
This is the oldest building that exists on the Unter Den Linden and according to the inscription on the main portal, work was completed in 1706.
The building is designed around a court yard and the four facades are almost identical in design..with the exception of the front facing the main street...
I LOVED the detail in the sculpture of the figures on the exterior of this building...in fact they are made to celebrate victory.There are other figures on the rear of the building,the inner courtyard that contrarily represent the death pangs of dying soldiers...
The building was originally built as a weapons armory, and in 1877-81 the interior was redesigned as the hall of fame for Prussia and Brandenburg and a military museum. Since 1991 it has housed the German History Museum.
- Pros:Lots of history....great mix of old and new archetecture!
- Cons:Too MUCH walking....hehehe...
Ive been hesitant to build a page about Sachsenhausen..Last night I watched a film ...a true story about certain events... more travel advice
As it happened....we were so close to it....Fabian...our guide from the "Berlin Walks"Tours...brought us by the site of... more travel advice
Greggor58's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 18 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Weather in Jan first week"
- updated a Berlin Travel Page "A Few Days in Berlin....WOW !!"
- Commented on one of iblatt's Berlin travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Antiquities of the Pergamon"
- Wrote a Review Sachsenhausen - Oranienburg....Tragic History... in Berlin Off The Beaten Path
Photos in BerlinSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 184 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 29 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 23 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues