"Military on the High Plains" Fort Laramie by Toughluck
Fort Laramie Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 33 photos
The park is located in Southeast Wyoming. From I-25 take exit 92 to U.S. Highway 26, proceed east to the Town of Fort Laramie, turn right on State Highway 160 and travel 3 miles to the park entrance.
Don't go expecting a traditional fort from around the world. The high walls and solid gate existed in 1849, when this was a small outpost of a business enterprise. But as the U.S. Calvary took over, it's appearance changed into the open plan used through out the American West.
By 1851, just 2 years after military occupation, there were additional structures beyond the walled fort.
In 1867, the fort had spread beyond the narrow confines of the river bend. The old adobe walled fort is gone. The Commanding Officer's Quarters now stands on that bluff overlooking the Laramie River. Other buildings spread along the bluff tops, both the north side and the south side. Only low walls and fences act as barriers between the 'wilds' of the west and the confines of the fort.
For more sites along the Overland Trails, see:
Kansas City, Missouri
Chimney Rock, Bayard, Nebraska;
Fort Laramie, Wyoming;
Guernsey, Wyoming (Trail Ruts and Register Cliff State Historic Sites).
When approaching the fort, the visitor passes next to the old North Platte River Bridge, a picturesque iron truss bridge... more travel advice
Occupying part of the site of Fort John is a large frame building used as officers' quarters and built in 1870.... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Fort Laramie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "kim83_50158's Fort Laramie Page"
- "Military on the High Plains"
- "Fort Laramie, Wyoming"
- "Fort Laramie NHS, Wyoming"
- "Fort Laramie"
- "Basaic Fort Laramie NHS Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Laramie
- Restaurants in Fort Laramie
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Laramie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Laramie
- 8 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Fort Laramie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Laramie
Photos in Fort LaramieSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 90 reviews, 221 photos, 7 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Fe Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues