"Caught in the Middle" Harpers Ferry National Historical Park by Toughluck
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 97 photos
Located in the vallies of the Potomac and Shennandoah Rivers, Harpers Ferry had little room to grow. In the days of river and foot travel, it remained a vibrant town, serving as a way station along the routes westward into western Virginia (now West Virginia) and Pennsylvania. With the onset of the American Civil War (1860-1865), the down lost it's viability as a place of business.
Caught in the middle between the north and south, Harpers Ferry could not survive the Civil War with it's business' intack. Located along the Potomac side of town, was one of the largest federal armories in the nation. With transportation links to the nation and access to the raw materials needed to produce weopons, Harpers Ferry grew in renown as a manufacturing center.
With the onset of the Civil War, the town could not be adequately protected. Overlooked from across the rivers by the Maryland Heights (Maryland) and the Loudon Heights (Virginia), the town was difficult to protect. To the west, Bolivar Heights could be fortified, but it was overshadowed by Schoolhouse Ridge just to it's west.
The town changed hands many times during the war and the Armory was finally moved to protect the production of arms for the northern armies. From that time on, Harpers Ferry slowly became a backwater community, which has allowed the historic buildings to remain intact for over 100 years.
- Pros:You get to step back to another time
- Cons:Becomes overcrowded on summer weekends
- In a nutshell:More than John Brown's story
On a hot summers day, this southern town would have been steamy. Only the breeze coming up from the river would have... more travel advice
As you walk into town from where the bus drops you, you'll be looking down Shanandoah Street. Harpers Ferry: A Place in... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caught in the Middle"
- "harpers ferry, west virginia"
- "Small Town With a Big History"
- "Harpers Ferry"
- "A SCENE WORTH A VOYAGE ACROSS THE ATLANTIC"
- "Basaic Harpers Ferry NHP Page"
- "Harpers Ferry, West Virginia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
- Restaurants in Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
- 14 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 137 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues